VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Discovered something quite interesting yesterday. Installed the Gnome shell on my 12.04 ubuntu setup, and tried smplayer under gnome classic sans effects.

Smplayer hasn't quite worked 100% for me in ubuntu so far. I thought it was the same issue as there was with windows ... the newer betas didn't quite get along with the newest mplayer version.

However, with gnome classic it works perfectly. Seems it doesn't like Unity after all.

That situation may change this fall. There's an official ubuntu upgrade in a month or 2 that's primarily unity upgrades. There are betas out now but I don't generally do betas ... I shouldn't have with smplayer under windows.

However, I think I like gnome classic better. It's definitely faster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, there have been a couple of new ubuntu PPA updates this week. He's trying, maybe. It's better but not quite there yet. It still works a lot better under gnome classic.

BTW it doesn't work any better than with unity in the newer gnome version that also comes with the gnome shell package. Most ubuntu geeks that don't like unity seem to use classic anyway.

I should point out that I still used smplayer in unity even with the motion judder problems over vlc. It's that good.
    Quote Quote