VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Any way to remove this issue or at least reduce it?

I've uploaded a sample video so you can see what I mean.

Thanks in advance.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It may not help your source, but you can try the latest version of DeShaker plugin for Virtualdub. Experiment with Rolling Shutter settings.
    Image Attached Files
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. I tried Deshaker. It doesn't really solve anything much in my case :P
    Quote Quote  
  4. Those are horizontal time base errors. The only real hope of fixing it is recapture the analog source with a line TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Those are horizontal time base errors. The only real hope of fixing it is recapture the analog source with a line TBC.
    Unfortunately I don't have the source :/

Is there anything I could try out anyway? I don't want to give up so fast.
    Quote Quote  
  6. There have been a few attempts at software TBCs in AviSynth. But they fail miserably with real video. Here's an example:
    https://code.google.com/p/avisynthrestoration/wiki/TBC
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    There have been a few attempts at software TBCs in AviSynth. But they fail miserably with real video. Here's an example:
    https://code.google.com/p/avisynthrestoration/wiki/TBC
    Ah :P Well, thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the destination is computer playback. I would convert to a lossless codec and deinterlace. Then check if any decomb/anti-alias filter is needed. Crop black border. Add some blend the same edges as cropped border (usually about 2 pixels). Use a weak/safe denoise (motion compensated preferably). Last, trim a small clip (about minute) for experimenting with deshaker settings.

If deshaker doesn't turn out well, perhaps you could try some interpolation with Masktools or InterFrame2 (smoothes video motion by doubling frame rate and interpolating motion). Maybe try using it before deshaker and see how it turns out.

Last, make a lossy encode with x264. Make sure to use a slow preset with slightly higher bitrate than necessary. Like crf 16 or 2-pass 1,800.

mhmmmm yea, a lot of time and work. If you are a complete newbie this is probably too much work.
    Last edited by Evil_Burrito; 12th Oct 2014 at 11:31.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The frequency of the waves along the edge of the spaceship suggest there is a framerate and/or rescaling issue involved as well.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Tape to tape dupe, then capped to DV. No line TBC in sight. Wouldn't touch it wearing a double-thick HazMat suit.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 12th Oct 2014 at 17:17.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!