VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I am in charge of creating highlights of a game (League of Legends) for my YouTube channel. Recently, Fraps has decided to stop being able to record Google Chrome and I can't get it to record my desktop. So I decided to pursue another avenue, and tried OBS. I recorded locally as a .mp4 and everything is fine, except for the fact that in Sony Vegas 8 the video does not show up.

Since these two options have not worked, I decided I would try to convert a .flv to .mp4 and have it work. So, I tried out FFMPEG with two different settings (-ar 22050 and -ar 48000) and when I put them into my Sony Vegas 8 it pretty much crashes it. The video ends up taking a few seconds to load one frame, and it is impossible to do anything. So, I was recommended another program called VLC which can convert .flv to .mp4. It ended up converting the video to .mp4 quite timely, but when I tried to play the video itself it wouldn't even work. I messed around with the codecs (H.264 video with MP3 audio and MPEG) but neither worked.

At this point, I'm at a loss. I've currently been able to wait for the whole game to be uploaded to the Lolesports YouTube channel so I can use a YouTube video downloader to download it, but I do not want to wait that long before being able to create my highlights because it is vital that I upload these videos quickly because there are other people who try to do the same thing.

I'm here asking for help. I don't know if this is the right section, if not, I will go to the video editting section. Can you guys help me with my problem? I have no clue what's going on and I have no clue how to fix it. For reference, this is my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/lolstatsgg
    Last edited by Piefrenzy; 7th Aug 2014 at 16:52.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Vegas 8 is quite old you might want to consider upgrading

What happens when you download the whole game uploaded to youtube? It will be h.264/aac/mp4 - does that import into vegas ?

Are your FLV's recorded from obs ? What does mediainfo (view=>text) say about them? copy & paste the text view back here
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Vegas 8 is quite old you might want to consider upgrading

What happens when you download the whole game uploaded to youtube? It will be h.264/aac/mp4 - does that import into vegas ?

Are your FLV's recorded from obs ? What does mediainfo (view=>text) say about them? copy & paste the text view back here
    My FLVs have been downloaded from http://www.twitchtools.com/video-download.php which has been known to work for lots of other people, I'm curious why it doesn't work for me. I put one of the files I downloaded into that mediainfo and this is what I got

Code:
    eneral
    Complete name                            : G:\Downloads\ffmpeg-20140719-git-d5ee358-win64-static\ffmpeg-20140719-git-d5ee358-win64-static\bin\Part2.flv
    Format                                   : Flash Video
    File size                                : 525 MiB
    Duration                                 : 30mn 1s
    Overall bit rate                         : 2 443 Kbps
    Tagged date                              : UTC 2014-07-19 22:02:03
    Tagging application                      : flvmeta 1.1-r213
    jtv_meta                                 : 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

Video
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
    Codec ID                                 : 7
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 2 300 Kbps
    Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
    Height                                   : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 30.000 fps
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.083
    Stream size                              : 495 MiB (94%)

Audio
    Format                                   : AAC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile                           : LC
    Codec ID                                 : 10
    Bit rate                                 : 129 Kbps
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel positions                        : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                            : 44.1 KHz
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Delay relative to video                  : 46ms
    Stream size                              : 29.3 MiB (6%)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Now I'm confused. You're downloading FLV's ? From where? Where does screen recording come into play? I'm missing something here
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Now I'm confused. You're downloading FLV's ? From where? Where does screen recording come into play? I'm missing something here
    So, I make highlights of individual games of the LCS (League Championship Series). Before, I would record my screen to record the game. That's where Fraps and OBS came in. But, Fraps stopped working, and OBS didn't work for me.

So, from that I looked for other solutions. There is a site called www.twitchtools.com where you can download portion of streams was .flv. These streams contain the games that I need to condense into highlights.

So screen recording was because it was the best option, but that no longer works. So, I'm downloading an FLV instead and converting to something I can edit in Sony Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  6. ok thanks, that makes sense now.

1) Why doesn't fraps or other screen recording programs work anymore if they worked before ? In what way don't they work ? Don't start up? Don't record ? Problems recording ???

2) You can try clipconverter.cc as well to download sections directly as mp4

3) What happens when you download the whole video (just pick a random video on youtube), does that h264/aac/mp4 video import into vegas 8 ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    ok thanks, that makes sense now.

1) Why doesn't fraps or other screen recording work anymore if it work before ? In what way don't they work ? Don't start up? Don't record ? Problems recording ???

2) You can try clipconverter.cc as well to download sections directly as mp4

3) What happens when you download the whole video (just pick a random video on youtube), does that h264/aac/mp4 video import into vegas 8 ?
    1) I have no clue. Before, it would be able to record Google Chrome, but now it won't. I know this because before the frame rate would show up but it will not anymore. It won't record my desktop for whatever reason, I've looked up guides because I have a black screen when I record with Aero like everyone says but none of the guides fix my problems.

2) I believe I tried that site at one point, but that requires the video to be finished uploading to YouTube, which I already have a program for. But I do not want to wait that long because the highlight business for LCS is very competitive and I need to upload them quickly.

3) Yes, if I download a whole YouTube video it works, but I do not want to wait for www.youtube.com/lolesports to post the videos of the games. However, when I download the game with H264 as my video codec the video is very laggy in Sony Vegas unlike it was when I recorded the games with Fraps.
    Quote Quote  
  8. OK, so these are live streams ? Since speed/timing is crucial , you really need to be able to fix recording from your desktop it would be more ideal

Can you upload a sample FLV recorded from twitchtools?
    Quote Quote  
  9. In fraps, try opening a random video in a media player like MPC, let it play, then record the desktop. The black screen might have to do with the renderer configuration on your setup

And have you tried something else other than chrome ? Are there settings to enable/disable GPU acceleration? Try switching that

However, when I download the game with H264 as my video codec the video is very laggy in Sony Vegas unlike it was when I recorded the games with Fraps.
    That's normal and expected, because the downloaded video is temporally compressed (each P,B frame relies on and derive information from other frames) , whereas fraps is minimally compressed and has no temporal compression (each frame is inclusive and doesn't rely on neighboring frames at all). Just look at the filesize differences. So any playback/editing software has to work much harder to decode and play the h264 encoded video
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 7th Aug 2014 at 18:02.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    OK, so these are live streams ? Since speed/timing is crucial , you really need to be able to fix recording from your desktop it would be more ideal

Can you upload a sample FLV recorded from twitchtools?
    Twitchtools downloads the videos in 30 minute chunks, so I'm just going to upload a random 30 minute chunk.

I'm assuming you mean one to YouTube, and I have done so. http://youtu.be/QpluLAq6XmQ here it is
    Also, I opened a video in two different media programs DivX and default Windows Media Player and it did not allow me to record my Desktop with Fraps.
    Quote Quote  
  11. No, not to youtube, because YT re-encodes the video. Sorry I should have been more specific

We need to look at a native FLV download, to see what can be done, or what options you have about you getting this into vegas

You said the OBS worked and "everything is fine" but the MP4 recording didn't open in vegas ? Can you upload a sample from OBS as well ? (I'm assuming by "everything is fine" it plays ok in media players etc...)

Still the best option is to record the livestream as it comes in IMO, if you can get that working. So you tried the media player trick , and the fraps recording is still black screen ? Is fraps able to record other things ? like different video games ?
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 7th Aug 2014 at 18:16.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    No, not to youtube, because YT re-encodes the video

We need to look at a native FLV download, to see what can be done about you getting this into vegas
    Oh, I didn't see the upload file option. I think I uploaded the video correct this time

Yes, Fraps can record video games and stuff
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  13. Seems like that version of vegas (I have vegas 8 on an older computer) doesn't like rewrapping this with various tools, various containers (MOV, MP4, transport streams). Works fine with newer versions of vegas. Re-wrapping is very fast, no quality loss

Code:
    ffmpeg -i "live_user_riotgames_1407448874.flv" -c:v copy -c:a copy -brand "mp42" -video_track_timescale 30 rewrap.mp4

Re-encoding it is an option, but it's slower , lose quality (unless you use a lossless codec but large filesizes) . I guess you have to decide what to use , what quality trade offs you're willing to make (something in AVI container will be more compatible with vegas 8, eg. mjpeg, cineform)
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!