VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope this is the proper subforum. If it isn't, please move it.

I have been using TDK +R DVDs' to burn movies won my PC with no issues. Now, when I use thesame media in a Magnavox/Funai H2160MW9 DVR/DVD recorder and play them back on a Oppo HD970 stand alone player, the video is sometimes choppy. Choppy as in appearing to be 2-4 good frames, then skipping 2-4 frames. The discs are burned at their 'SP' quality (2nd best level). Played back on the same deck shows no problem (of course).

The situation becomes odd for the reason this 'choppy' video (audio is ok) isn't consistent. Some times it does, some times it doesn't. When it acts up, if I pause or stop the playback and resume, many times that clears up the problem. The other oddity is, it isn't on just one or two discs, or portions of the disks, it is anywhere at anytime. I can play a selection with no issue, navigate to another title, or another part of that same title and the problem is back. If it starts to play ok, the rest of the title is good if I don't stop or pause the disc.

Any ideas what is happening where the player is having a problem smoothly playing back these discs? Obviously, it is a issue between the TDK media and this Funai recorder, since this same media burned on a PC and played back on the Oppo has no issue, but why.
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TDK is CMC, meaning not a reliable disc. That you think they have "no issues" in the PC burner is irrelevant. Get better blanks. See www.digitalFAQ.com for more information on the best blank DVDs, and where to buy them

That's all it is. Unreliable media.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But, what causes all of this?
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruce
    But, what causes all of this?
    The North American market demands low prices on media. Quality isn't even a consideration. In the past TDK made high quality media for sale in North America, but that hasn't been true in years. Like almost everybody, TDK outsources its media for North America to cheap, low quality manufacturers. TDK media in other parts of the world may still be first rate, depending on where it is made. I've seen some evidence that TDK was using Taiyo Yuden to make their media for sale in Japan, but I don't know if that's still true. Most North American consumers are like my best friend who just looks for the cheapest media possible as he thinks "they are all the same" and only suckers pay more higher quality. However as you have found out the hard way there is a difference.

The only consistently high quality media available now in North America is Taiyo Yuden (you'll have to order it online) or Verbatim. Sony can be good or bad depending on who makes it, but unless you just are in love with Sony it's probably not worth the effort to try to figure it out when you can just buy Verbatim or TY and be done with it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I understand that the cause of the problem is cheaper media, but why does the playback deck 'chop' up, or stutter the video without affecting the audio? Technically, why doesn't the player handle the media correctly?

Regarding -R vs +R, I was under the understanding that +R was preferred (as long as you don't have any older players) because it came out after -R .
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruce
    I understand that the cause of the problem is cheaper media, but why does the playback deck 'chop' up, or stutter the video without affecting the audio? Technically, why doesn't the player handle the media correctly?

Regarding -R vs +R, I was under the understanding that +R was preferred (as long as you don't have any older players) because it came out after -R .
    Does it really matter why this happened? Can't you just accept it and fix it? I suppose you could talk to the manufacturer if you just have to know why it behaved like this, but I'm not sure they will be interested in giving you an answer. They'll more likely find a way to blame you for the problem.

If you search you can find some white papers on the internet talking about why +R is supposed to be superior to -R, but practical experience indicates that there really is no difference for single layer media. However, things are different for re-writable media and DL media and +R versions of both of those are technologically superior to their -R counterparts.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does it really matter why this happened? Can't you just accept it and fix it?
    You can't fix something if you don't know how it happened. Besides, inquiring minds what to know.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Deleted, answered wrong thread.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    deleted account next post.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Sorry, just completely wasted my and everyone elses time by confusing two threads and answering the wrong one. All deleted now.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was a nice read what I saw of it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that.
    Quote Quote