VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. muffinman123
    tools I have with me: virtualdub, avidemux, and windows movie maker 5.1 (xp)

I have uncompressed interlaced clip in 720 x 480, and I have a couple of images I want to use as intro/outro, add a couple of subtitle texts to clips, and I also have couple of music tracks which I want to play along side the audio tracks in the clips.

I know that virtualdub doesn't allow me to manually insert images. even if I take image sequence and output as avi file in virtualdub, it will have different frame rate so I cannot just append the my intro outro to my raw clips.
    I can use the vobsub filters to add in hard subs in virtualdub though.

if I deinterlace my clips using virtualdub, I will have to compress it or it will take too much space, but if I do that and then take the compressed clips to windows movie maker, the output will be recompressed the 2nd time, that would be too lossy for me.

the problem is windows movie maker 5.1 is really limited in its editing options. it doesn't let me know what algorithm it uses to resize images or if the program deinterlace the clips or not. mediainfo doesn't show if my test clip is progressive or interlaced when I fed it an interlaced video.

I am trying to get resize my image so I can get 720p or at least 480p so youtube can take it, but youtube doesn't like my processing setting for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can use aviutl , it's a free multitrack video editor
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Avisynth is a possible solution, however you would need TIME to learn it.

BTW, in my dictionaries there is no such thing named "OUTro(duction)" ---

--- if you want/need some extrapolation for a neologism, at least respect the etymology

(i.o.w., "EXTROduction" --- which sounds equally bizarre to my ears, BTW ).
    Quote Quote  
  4. And aviutl has import support for avisynth. With avisynth you have ultimate control over resizing and deinterlacing algorithm used. So you can combine processing .e.g. process clips in avisynth for better deinterlacing, organize/layer .avs scripts in aviutl with music tracks etc... You can visually align and get the timing

At this point in time I would double rate deinterlace for YT, since YT announced they will support 50p/60p soon and are running limited tests now
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post

BTW, in my dictionaries there is no such thing named "OUTro(duction)" ---
    It's a commonly used term (especially in anime circles) for a closing clip, one that plays after the main video. Yes, it's probably incorrect to call it that, but it's in general use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I 2nd Aviutl. Very powerful/versatile and also happens to be free.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  7. muffinman123
    just wondering, does windows movie maker 5.1 create interlaced or progressive videos?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by muffinman123 View Post
    just wondering, does windows movie maker 5.1 create interlaced or progressive videos?
    I think it does progressive when you export wmv, and DV-AVI is interlaced. I don't think it has any other options.

WMM is crap, one of the fastest ways to ruin your videos
    Quote Quote  
  9. muffinman123
    hey I just found out that vobsub plugin supports srt format that takes html font size and font face, is this extra stuff that only vobsub has? or is this the standard now?
    Quote Quote  
  10. muffinman123
    how do you do video fade in fade out to black/white with aviutl? I didn't see it in the options or the edit bar. it can insert images though, that's a plus for me.

EDIT: ok I just found I can use fill with curve editor to fade and fade out!
    then I can use logo filter to insert images! omg looks I can completely avoid wmm afterall.
    Last edited by muffinman123; 3rd Aug 2014 at 21:54.
    Quote Quote  
  11. The "standard" for flexible/powerful subs formats is advanced substation alpha (ASS subs) . You have complete control over everything, fonts, colors, styles, even animations, karaoke effects . You can convert your srt subs in aegisub. You can hardsub with the filter Textsub()

To fade anything (black, white, another video or picture) use the fade effect , or use the "clearness" parameter which is the opacity. You can animate all the parameters over time. Have a look at the tutorials by MaverickTse and Racer-X

Lot of the effects and settings are "hidden" in aviutl , you have to explore it a bit. Note the track order is reversed compared to other programs as well (bottom is on the top, higher layers)

It's a million times more powerful and versatile than WMM - you can composite layers, alpha channel, use masks, multiple effects, multiple tracks...It's a lot more like paid commercial editors and compositing applications in that regard - for free . One of the major limitations of vdub/avidemux type programs is access to only 1 video track

Originally Posted by muffinman123 View Post

then I can use logo filter to insert images! omg looks I can completely avoid wmm afterall.
    This edit is referring to vdub, correct ? Yes you can fade with the curve editor and use the logo filter. But it doesn't have a very good deinterlace filter

Even if I take image sequence and output as avi file in virtualdub, it will have different frame rate so I cannot just append the my intro outro to my raw clips.
    You can set the exported AVI frame rate in vdub with video=>frame rate
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 3rd Aug 2014 at 22:11.
    Quote Quote  
  12. muffinman123
    but can you do something like spinning, page curl, shatter, and all those transition effects? if a freeware could do those too, that would really seal the deal for me.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by muffinman123 View Post
    but can you do something like spinning, page curl, shatter, and all those transition effects? if a freeware could do those too, that would really seal the deal for me.
    You can do spinning, shatter and other animations. I don't think it has page curl, but I could be wrong, or maverick might have a script or plugin module for that
    Quote Quote  
  14. ^ yes I was going to say transall plugin in avisynth , but many of them are "cheesy" effects like accordian or venetian blinds etc.... If you want a preview of what some of them look like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NboBPg2r8TU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qxTvawjy_Vk

And of course, avisynth is supported in aviutl. But don't worry, aviutl has a lot of native cheesy filter effects too
    Quote Quote  
  15. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, every transition that is not *simple and trivial* is cheesy by definition
    Quote Quote  
  16. muffinman123
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You can do spinning, shatter and other animations. I don't think it has page curl, but I could be wrong, or maverick might have a script or plugin module for that
    can you tell me how to do this in aviutl?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by muffinman123 View Post
    can you tell me how to do this in aviutl?
    shatter is under animation effect => shatter . "Spinning" depends on what you mean exactly - did you mean an axial rotation ?

I suggest you explore the program or have a look at the tutorials mentioned earlier
    Quote Quote  
  18. muffinman123
    is the program open source? I think it would be nice if someone could rearrange the menus a bit so things aren't so counter intuitive lol
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by muffinman123 View Post
    is the program open source? I think it would be nice if someone could rearrange the menus a bit so things aren't so counter intuitive lol

It's free but not open source. Original coding is in Japanese. The GUI could use some improvements but I guess we can't complain too much since it's free.

You can make suggestions / requests and Maverick can translate them for the developers

Yes, there are better organized GUI's and NLE's, compositing applications, but not for free
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	el_heg.png
Views:	1208
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	26733

How's this for a "cheesy" transition . I call it the "El Heggunte fromage du speciale"

Name:  cheesy.gif
Views: 1733
Size:  66.1 KB
    Quote Quote  
  21. muffinman123
    This edit is referring to vdub, correct ? Yes you can fade with the curve editor and use the logo filter. But it doesn't have a very good deinterlace filter
    just wondering, what makes aviutl's deinterlace filters better than virtualdub's? aviutl has bob and discard, and it also has auto, auto field shift, and transparent. I can't find any info that explains what the latter 3 are. what makes them better than yadif in virtualdub?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by muffinman123 View Post
    just wondering, what makes aviutl's deinterlace filters better than virtualdub's? aviutl has bob and discard, and it also has auto, auto field shift, and transparent. I can't find any info that explains what the latter 3 are. what makes them better than yadif in virtualdub?
    I didn't say they were better than yadif. I said vdub doesn't have a very good deinterlace filter . The problem with bob or yadif is they leave significant "jaggies" or deinterlacing aliasing artifacts

The best overall, by far is QTGMC in avisynth. That's what I recommend using if quality is important to you. aviutl has NNEDI3, which will mostly get rid of the artifacts - but it doesn't use it together with yadifmod so you'll get a slight up/down motion
    Quote Quote  
  23. RE: deinterlacing quality

You can have a look at various comparisons, "deinterlacing" is a topic discussed frequently

Here is an old one done about 6-7 years ago using the precursor to QTGMC which was TGMC, it compares yadif as well
    https://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/p1934885/stockholma_0-520_q3_yadif_mvbobmod_t...mca4_tdtmm.avi

The temporal stability of Q/TGMC is unparalleled. Most deinterlacers leave a "bob flicker" or deinterlacing artifacts , jaggy aliased edges that "buzz" . Or yadif is known for the "marching ants" artifacts
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    [Attachment 26733 - Click to enlarge]

How's this for a "cheesy" transition . I call it the "El Heggunte fromage du speciale"

[Attachment 26734 - Click to enlarge]
    Ha Ha, too funny. Someone get some wine to go with that cheese
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Ha Ha, too funny. Someone get some wine to go with that cheese
    I'm pretty sure that's why he posted it here on videohelp. More than enough whine to go around, usually.
    Quote Quote  
  26. muffinman123
    RE: deinterlacing quality
    I am most wondering about aviutl's deinterlace. I know I should learn avisynth, but I am lazy and don't want to wait for long processing time that comes with avisynth.
    Quote Quote  
  27. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for confirming that I was right (as usual)
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by muffinman123 View Post
    RE: deinterlacing quality
    I am most wondering about aviutl's deinterlace. I know I should learn avisynth, but I am lazy and don't want to wait for long processing time that comes with avisynth.

Not very good IMO. Bob is same as bob in vdub. It's essentially a resize of fields. AFS leaves artifacts similar to Tdeint default settings.

NNEDI3 is decent intra field deinterlacer and antialiser and also used for upscaling, but it's only working intrafield, so not as good as the temporal deinterlacers. You also need to use it with yadifmod , or you'll get a slight up-down motion from the odd/even field offset - that's not offered in aviutl

You don't have to use super duper slow settings in QTGMC. You can use one of the faster presets and still get 95-96% of the quality. Even on one of the faster presets it's much better than yadif/ bob or any of the usual deinterlacers. Once you get started, it's really not that difficult to learn. The script itself is basically 2 lines that you can copy & paste. There is a bit of a hassle gathering plugins and script dependencies, but someone uploaded a zip file with the prerequisites all compiled together
    Quote Quote  
  29. muffinman123
    got a really simple question for aviutl, when I open a video using file->open, how do I add that video to the time line? racer-x adds it to the timeline by dragging the file onto there, but what if I am using file->open and append all the sequences 1st and then add to the time line?

I don't want to attach the files one by one to the time line, I want to append all my video sequences, then drop it onto timeline instead...
    Last edited by muffinman123; 5th Aug 2014 at 07:04.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!