VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

I recently backed up my DVD collection to hard disk and noted that each of my CSS protected (Video) DVDs has defective sectors (as a kind of "copy protection"). Originally, CSS encryption is not related to this kind of copy protection. So I'm curious: can anyone tell me if there are any DVDs with CSS but without such defective sector copy protection? If so, can you tell me a DVD title?

Thanx for your help!

btw: I already asked this question in another forum. However, the thread was suspended there. I hope its not offending to post again the same question here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you are seeing that message I'm guessing you are using DVDDecrypter?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    There are many tools to rip CSS encoded and copy protected videos. So, its no problem for me to backup my DVD collection (which is already done). However, I'm curious how these tools operate and took a deeper look into this matter when I noticed that none of my about 100 DVDs has CSS but no defective sectors. -- To your question: no, I didnt use DVDDecrypter.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    There are a great many DVDs that have only CSS encryption. If you can successfully decrypt and rip using DVD Shrink, then the movie only has CSS, as that is the only type of protection that DVD Shrink was ever able to circumvent. Though it also removes macrovision if present. Development of Shrink stopped in 2004.

But protection can vary according to the region in which a movie is released. So, even if we mention a title that only has CSS, it might not hold true across all regions.

Of course, a few movies have no encryption at all. I've seen about four of those over the last decade.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for the reply!

Actually I used DVDshrink (among others) w/o the shrink feature. Since DVDshrink reads the IFO/VOB structure, it can be used to rip quickly DVDs with defective sector copy protection (by not needing/touching them). In contrast, if you copy the DVD files or make a sector by sector copy, the drive will encounter the defective sectors (which can reasonably slow down the copy).

Still, im looking for any DVD title which has only CSS encryption but no defective sector protection (preferably also the release information).

btw: About 20 of my 100 DVDs have no CSS at all.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    What? Bad sector protection started sometime in 2005...as DVD Decrypter was updated to handle some of the early forms of it before that program was forced to shut down in June of 2005. I think ARccOS was one of the first using this tactic. Development of Shrink stopped at least a year before this, and Shrink could not handle the bad sector protection that ARccOS introduced.

Take a look at this thread and some of the things people were trying, since Shrink would not work with it. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/201223-Backup-DVDs-with-ARccOS-Protection
    Last edited by Kerry56; 25th Jan 2014 at 20:12. Reason: fixed typo that was driving me bonkers
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    That's interesting...

... is there another defective sector copy protection besides that by ARccOS? I guess most of my DVDs are pre 2005. And they have a very high number of defective sectors. For example Mars Attacks (7-321921-144806) which should have been released much earlier (just started running ddrescue and it shows already more than 300 periodic errors).

btw: My RE2 DVD (4-011976-826880) has no CSS and no copy protection at all. So I can copy the IFO/VOB files directly and play them from disk (e.g. with VLC). DVDshrink has also no problem with it.

Edit: Since I'm not completely sure about the release year of the Mars Attacks DVD, I just looked up The Million Dollar Hotel (7-321900-929196) -- which I bought May 2001. There are already almost 100 errors and still more than 7.8 GB to check.
    Last edited by PTP77; 25th Jan 2014 at 12:49.
    Quote Quote