VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an avi movie and its srt subtitle file (different filename, I have looked around but can't find a subtitle with the same filename as the avi). I use VLC to play them. Without using advanced options on the subtitle the video and subtitle are about 10sec delay (subtitle 10secs after video). This increases to about 4mins by the end of the movie. The movie shows length of about 1hr 46mins.

Is there a way of keep it in sync with VLC or to hardcode the subs into the avi?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can adjust constant increasingly out of sync with vsfilter but I don't think your subs increases constant from 10sec to 4 mins. So you have to manually resync it using for example subtitle workshop or aegisub.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If there is more than one version of your movie, you could have a srt file for a different version. For example with a directors cut the subs could start in sync and then extra material could make them increasingly out of sync as the movie progresses. Might be worth checking before using the subtitle tools. Try http://subscene.com/ for subs
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's almost certainly a case of an AVI from an NTSC source and subs from a PAL source. Your AVI is 23.976fps, isn't it? Check in GSpot if you don't know.

Synch the subs at the beginning and then slow the SRT subs from 25fps to 23.976fps. SubtitleCreator can do both. First File->Open Text Subtitles. Then Synchronize->Set Time Delay(-/+) followed by Convert Framerate (25 to 23.976). Then File->Save SRT. Test it out, and make sure to save the original version somewhere, in case I'm wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Note that "lovely" joined only to make that post, so I would advise great caution about using this website. It might just be a front to try to exploit your PC via some known browser weakness. I have a rule NEVER to trust new members whose very first post just happens to be the magical solution to a problem.

Good luck getting them in sync. I've tried to do that a few times and in the end just given up as it would have taken more hours to get them in sync than it was worth to me to do the work.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I would suggest getting another set of subs from opensubtitles.org or subscene.com

But it sounds like you have PAL subs on an NTSC film so the timing is weird as it goes on. Subtitle Worshop is free & can convert to NTSC or vice versa.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    It's almost certainly a case of an AVI from an NTSC source and subs from a PAL source. Your AVI is 23.976fps, isn't it? Check in GSpot if you don't know.

Synch the subs at the beginning and then slow the SRT subs from 25fps to 23.976fps. SubtitleCreator can do both. First File->Open Text Subtitles. Then Synchronize->Set Time Delay(-/+) followed by Convert Framerate (25 to 23.976). Then File->Save SRT. Test it out, and make sure to save the original version somewhere, in case I'm wrong.

Signed up just to say, THANKS!

I've been trying to figure out what specifics of the files were to make a subtitle file compatible for a long long long time now.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by YourFriendBen View Post
    Signed up just to say, THANKS!
    You're welcome!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    It's almost certainly a case of an AVI from an NTSC source and subs from a PAL source. Your AVI is 23.976fps, isn't it? Check in GSpot if you don't know.

I also just signed up to thank you for your very helpful suggestion. I have downloaded about 30GB of tv shows and I was really getting anxious that not even one subtitle was synced with them. You get me out of a very frustrating situation. Thanks man. Best wishes for you.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks for the feedback. Actually, if I were answering it today I might suggest doing it slightly differently. First do the framerate conversion and then if they're still slightly off (they might not be) follow that up by fixing the delay.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Just visit subscene.com & get the right subs. There are other sub sites, they are free too.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    Just visit subscene.com & get the right subs. There are other sub sites, they are free too.
    How do you know the right subs to get
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's trial and error regarding the download. However, it can easily be tested on the PC before you commit it to an
    optical disk.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    It's trial and error regarding the download. However, it can easily be tested on the PC before you commit it to an
    optical disk.
    when i play the file in win media player even when set to show
    Last edited by David Banner; 27th Jun 2012 at 02:52.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you install vsfilter.dll? Does the sub have the exact same name as the AVI file?

Usually you can test it with graphstudio. Render the avi, and look at the filter chain.
    You should see one of the boxes contain "directvobsub" and you'll see the icon in the tray,
    lower right.

[Attachment 12888 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Did you install vsfilter.dll? Does the sub have the exact same name as the AVI file?

Usually you can test it with graphstudio. Render the avi, and look at the filter chain.
    You should see one of the boxes contain "directvobsub" and you'll see the icon in the tray,
    lower right.

[Attachment 12888 - Click to enlarge]
    I changed the name to give it the exact same name eg movie.avi and movie.srt. Will look at the other progs thanks. But it is really on my LG BD350 i want to watch. Sometime the subs will show and sometime not with the exact same name. And sometimes out of sync
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The timecodes in the SRT may not match the action in the movie. That's the whole point about
    checking it on the PC first. Find spots at the start, middle and end and check the sync.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    The timecodes in the SRT may not match the action in the movie. That's the whole point about
    checking it on the PC first. Find spots at the start, middle and end and check the sync.
    i understand that but sometimes ther is no sub at all when an avi and srt are named exactly the same.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it happens on your LG BD350, have you tried pushing the Subtitle button on your remote?

If your LG BD350 supports it, you can also try muxing the subtitles into the AVI with AVIAddXSubs. The result should be a .divx with subtitles you can switch on and off through the remote. (If the LG BD350 doesn't recognize the .divx extension, just rename it to .avi.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    i understand that but sometimes ther is no sub at all when an avi and srt are named exactly the same.
    Sometimes the subtitle format and/or character format is to blame when the subtitles won't display. For example, some players may only support .srt subtitles using ANSI characters. At the risk of offending you once again, you need to consult the manual to find out what the player supports before downloading subtitles. If you are lucky the manual will tell you both the file types and character sets it can play.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Jun 2012 at 15:08.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Sometimes the subtitle format and/or character format is to blame when the subtitles won't display. For example, some players may only support .srt subtitles using ANSI characters. At the risk of offending you once again, you need to consult the manual to find out what the player supports before downloading subtitles. If you are lucky the manual will tell you both the file types and character sets it can play.
    re-saving the srt in Notepad will allow you to choose between ANSI and Unicode, if indeed that is the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    re-saving the srt in Notepad will allow you to choose between ANSI and Unicode, if indeed that is the issue.
    That is exactly what I did last week. Notepad converted the file, but there is usually more work to do beyond conversion. Unicode supports characters that ANSI does not. It may be necessary to remove a few "unknown" characters or replace them with ones that ANSI does support.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Jun 2012 at 15:57.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    you did not offend me i just thought you were being needlessly smart. Thanks for the info in this post re ANSI characters.

EDIT:Yes saving as ANSI works. Thanks. Thanks davexnet too
    Last edited by David Banner; 28th Jun 2012 at 09:52.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think there is the frame rate diffrence . This can be avoided by saving the subs on micro dvd format. I use aegisub program. I first load the srt file ( which is always 25 frames I think ) and then if you go to fil -> export subtitles from there you have to choose encore.txt format or micro dvd format. there you get a popup window asking you the frame rate.
    later you can ( if you want to ) chanbe these two formats to srt format.
    you dont even need a special program to change these formats to srt format. just getting it opened on word 2007 and using find and replace with wild card option intelligently. you can always change these formats.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    thanks dd not know that
    Quote Quote  
  26. Have a strange situation with an avi and srt. Both are named the same like film.avi and film.srt. The SRT is saved in notepad as ANSI and will show subs on my PC with VLC but on my standalone will not show subs.

Usually if the subs do not appear i check to see if they are ANSI as pointed out on this thread Sometimes I have to change and resave as ANSI and they play but this was originally ANSI and will not show subs on my standalone

My standalone usually plays avi and ANSI coded subs show. This one will play but won't show subs on standalone
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    David Banner - Just make a new thread next time. This thread was supposed to be about a synch problem and you've effectively hijacked it and made it into your own personal thread with your constant posts.

What language are your subs in? Many standalone DVD players only support a very limited subset of possible characters. Unicode is rarely supported. Any language that does not use Latin characters may not be supported at all depending on where you bought the player. For example, DVD players sold in North America usually support only Latin and maybe Cyrillic character sets for external subtitle files and that is all. If they are in English and you bought your player in an English speaking country, do note that standalone DVD players typically require subtitle files to use Windows end of line characters and editing a subtitle file on Mac or Linux will change the EOL characters and can make the subtitle unreadable by the standalone.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    David Banner - Just make a new thread next time. This thread was supposed to be about a synch problem and you've effectively hijacked it and made it into your own personal thread with your constant posts.

What language are your subs in? Many standalone DVD players only support a very limited subset of possible characters. Unicode is rarely supported. Any language that does not use Latin characters may not be supported at all depending on where you bought the player. For example, DVD players sold in North America usually support only Latin and maybe Cyrillic character sets for external subtitle files and that is all. If they are in English and you bought your player in an English speaking country, do note that standalone DVD players typically require subtitle files to use Windows end of line characters and editing a subtitle file on Mac or Linux will change the EOL characters and can make the subtitle unreadable by the standalone.
    are you a mod?
    Quote Quote