VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Quick question, I am going to be building an XP machine for all my video capturing (S/VHS sources) and would like to know if using a 1TB hard drive as the data drive will work in XP. I have a smaller spare hard drive that I will use for the OS and programs, which won't be much. I believe it should work okay, but needed to make sure.
    I have the staff of power, now it's up to me to use it to its full potential to command my life and be successful.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Move on to Win 7. It is much better for video work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Move on to Win 7. It is much better for video work.
    Not for capturing VHS footage and the work involved. The best hardware for that job works best on an XP box, as there aren't any reliable analog capture cards for Windows 7 that can capture uncompressed AVI using the Huffyuv codec.

I do plan to build a new i7 workstation machine in the coming months that will take care of the HD video needs and newer stuff, but for the older analog stuff I will build a separate XP capture box just for that purpose. I just needed to see if the 1TB to be used as storage will work.
    I have the staff of power, now it's up to me to use it to its full potential to command my life and be successful.
    Quote Quote  
  4. XP will have no problems with a 1 TB drive. You don't have to worry until you get over 2 TB.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah XP 32 bit has a 2TB limit but there are ways around that:

http://www.dulcesystems.com/html/2tb_limit.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, confirmed - it works. I have an XP 32 bit box that runs both 1 TB and 2 TB HDDs.
    Quote Quote