VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone direct me to an ImgBurn site where I can just download the program without wading through loads of crap, and avoid downloading programs I know nothing about. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the direct link to the latest version from this very site. Be aware there is OpenCandy in the installer.
    It can be mitigated by disconnecting from the internets before running the setup.
    https://www.videohelp.com/download/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe

Or you can download the previous version:
    https://www.videohelp.com/download/SetupImgBurn_2.5.7.0.exe
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You are better off getting an older version anyway. I'm sure someone here has an executable laying around.
    I use 2.5.0.0 and it does all I ever needed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ???
    What's wrong with this the download of this site and all the links on http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Just disable the other crap in the installer
    Never had "problems". What are the problems you encountered?
    Quote Quote  
  5. @ hech54: Looks like you know much about Imgburn. Why are older versions better? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Versions older than 2.5.8.0 don't use OpenCandy. OpenCandy is not a virus, but you may not want to install it. The original 2.5.8.0 release of ImgBurn did not have an easy way to avoid the OpenCandy install. The current 2.5.8.0 supposedly makes it clear that you are installing OpenCandy and it's supposed to be easier to opt out of that, but I got so discouraged by the original complaints about it that I still haven't upgraded from 2.5.7.0. Most of the fixes ImgBurn has are for problems most users never have, so honestly if you install it and never upgrade, you will probably never have a problem with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I upgraded - it had a number of improvements in the changelog. It's fine. Go for it, but just opt out.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It may or may not have anything to do with constant development and maintenance of a free gem like ImgBurn such that LightningUK has to take such teeth-gnashing opencandy routes. Please do donate. I did.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Me, too. Donationware apps that I felt absolutely deserved the money are a short list, but this is on it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. @ Cornucopia: What tools are on your short list of software? I'm always looking for nice programs
    Quote Quote  
  11. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see what's the big drama! Just choose "Custom installation" and uncheck all optional software. Done!
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    You are better off getting an older version anyway. I'm sure someone here has an executable laying around.
    I use 2.5.0.0 and it does all I ever needed.
    I've been using 2570 for ages, and it's just stopped working. Burner is fine, it works OK with Nero
    I'm really not comfortable going to those download sites. I'd really like to carry on with ImgBurn. Could some kind soul put me up an exec of 2570 for me
    Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  13. https://www.videohelp.com/tools/ImgBurn/old-versions#download

This has been a feature of videohelp forever.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by didikai View Post
    Many thanks
    Check your PM
    Quote Quote  
  15. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Older versions of ImgBurn without the opencandy junk generally work fine and are available here:
    http://www.oldversion.com/windows/imgburn/
    --------------
    I'm using the latest ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 which I upgraded from 2.5.7.0 etc. I've kept the latest version for many years, usually downloading the next version from the ImgBurn website, iirc.

I also use the MVPS HOSTS file which blocks at least some of the opencandy junk that comes in the .exe installer in more recent versions. I don't recall a problem with it but I'm normally pretty careful when installing any "freeware" nowadays.

You should definitely avoid the Google Chrome browser which ignores the HOSTS file! It's not a safe browser to use for anything, IMO.

I also use a firewall which blocks all unknown incoming/outgoing connections unless I give it permission.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Get a copy of Universal Extractor:
    http://www.legroom.net/software/uniextract
    I recomend the "UniExtract Binary Archive" version since it does not install anything.

Use it to extract the files from SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe.

The folder $INSTDIR will contain all the files you need to run ImgBurn without installing anything.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    I don't see what's the big drama! Just choose "Custom installation" and uncheck all optional software. Done!
    Maybe this is too difficult for some people, the ones who just want to "click and go" without thinking. It's also possible that some software out there will install crapware without giving you the option to not install it, but I personally haven't encountered any yet. I know that's not the case with ImgBurn, as I've installed 2.5.8.0 via Custom Installation without installing crapware. You just have to make sure you read every screen and not blindly click the Next button. Nothing hard about that!
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to everyone for the help.
    My version 2570 had got corrupted somehow.
    I uninstalled and re-installed file from the Old Version site. Everything works fine now.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!