VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. When the VIDEO_ TS DVD folder or the IFO file is ripped to the HDD, is the layer break still present in the folder/IFO on the HDD? I was under the impression that the layer break is caused by the laser in the DVD player refocussing and so it would not be present in the ripped files. However, if this is the case, why does DVDFab have a "remove layer break" option?

The reason I am asking this is that I would like to be able to rip DVDs to the HDD, convert them to MP4 and play them back without the layer break being present. Just to be clear, I don't intend to burn the ripped files to DVD. I generally don't use DVDFab to rip DVDs (I prefer Freemake) but other programs don't have a "remove layer break option". Is this because the layer break is removed by ripping or do I need to use DVDFab to remove the layer break every time I rip a DVD?

I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread but I've searched the forum and the internet and can't find a clear answer to this question. Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Jackson2317 View Post
    I was under the impression that the layer break is caused by the laser in the DVD player refocussing
    Wrong.

The layer break is of no concern to you. You think too much.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you are converting to MP4 then it doesn't matter as you shouldn't see the layer break after the conversion no matter what you do, but I'm not prepared to bet everything I own that there isn't some half-assed program out there somewhere that won't somehow have the layer break cause a blip in the final MP4 file, but that shouldn't happen. Try it without removing the layer break and see. Come back and post the details of what you did if you have a conversion that seems to have a problem at the break point.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The layer break should only matter if you're burning VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders to DVD, not when ripping to MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the help. I've not actually experienced a problem with the layer break but I just wanted to confirm that it wouldn't be an issue before I started ripping my DVD collection.

Just out of interest, is the layer break present in the VIDEO_TS folder when ripped to the HDD before this is converted to MP4?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Jackson2317 View Post
    Just out of interest, is the layer break present in the VIDEO_TS folder when ripped to the HDD before this is converted to MP4?
    It Doesn't Matter!!!!!!
    The layer break is in the text/instruction/directions of the VIDEO_TS folder.....not in the video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Jackson2317 View Post
    Hi. When the VIDEO_ TS DVD folder or the IFO file is ripped to the HDD, is the layer break still present in the folder/IFO on the HDD? I was under the impression that the layer break is caused by the laser in the DVD player refocussing and so it would not be present in the ripped files. However, if this is the case, why does DVDFab have a "remove layer break" option?
    The layer break isn't caused by the laser in the player switching layers as such, it's information on the disc which tells the drive when it needs to switch layers. The player's software doesn't see anything but a single large disc, but when data is requested the player's drive needs to know which layer it's on.

If you were ripping a DVD with the intention of reburning it "as-is" to a dual layer disc then you'd probably want to keep the existing layer break info so the disc is re-burned the same way. If you were re-authoring the DVD or shrinking it to fit on a single layer disc etc then you'd probably want to remove it. The burning software would need to be able to work out the new layer break point and burn the new disc with the correct layer break info if need be.

If you're ripping and converting to MP4 I can't imagine it'd make the slightest difference. The same video is ripped and converted either way.

http://www.gearsoftware.com/howtoguides/dvdvideobreakpoint.php
    http://www.newcyberian.com/howto-burn-dual-layer-dvd.html
    Quote Quote