VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ive just recently heard about DivX players and not having to convert AVI files before burning to DVD.

Am I right thinking you can just burn a AVI file as a data CD and it will play in a DivX compatable player?

I've been looking at these 2 players, are they any good for DivX playback and is there anything to avoid?

thanks

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-9646.aspx

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5335471/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome%...7C10199347.htm

*update*
    I want to buy a Philips 5990 but dont know where to buy it from thats not online
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, typically you can burn a divx file direct to data CD. There are some caveats to the property of the divx file, however. Certain players limit the length of the name of the divx file, some require the dimensions of the file to be less than a certain size (720x576, for example), etc. The manual will specify the requirements, but most divx files will be playable without having to re-encode or modify them. Even if you do, there is software on this site which can automate this for you.

Both of those players are fine, especially for the price.
    Quote Quote  
  3. get the Philips 5990/92

no need to burn or convert .just transfer the clips,movie,pix to your thumb drive or external hard drive and connect them to the USB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is the phillips available in the UK? I cant seem to find it
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    About 10 days ago one of my older pioneers finally took a dump after 10 years & i picked up a Philips DVP3962 for $40.00 U.S. brand new.

1080i HDMI upconversion & divx ultra.

I was actually pretty impressed with it for only $40.00.
    Converts PAL/NTSC and was easily hacked to remove region code via the remote.

I just burn all my divx/xvid files to dvd+r to watch and use the disc's over.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is philips the best brand to go for no matter which model it is?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You pays your money and takes your choice.
    The Toshiba's about half the price of the Phillips in the UK, but you'll have to burn your AVI's to a DVDR or RW to watch them, whereas with the Phillips you can copy them to a USB memory stick and watch them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm on a mission to find a Philips now with a USB port at a good price, around £40 if possible.

It sounds much more convenient have a USB port, when you need to watch just 1 show you dont have to try and fill up the rest of the 4.7GB.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Tbag - If you have not already done so. please look at this sticky:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic352457.html
    It lists options that might be problematic for Divx playback on DVD players.
    Note too that use of a custom encoding matrix may also be a problem, but that's quite an advanced subject and very rare to encounter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Tbag - If you have not already done so. please look at this sticky:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic352457.html
    It lists options that might be problematic for Divx playback on DVD players.
    Note too that use of a custom encoding matrix may also be a problem, but that's quite an advanced subject and very rare to encounter.
    How often do people run into this problem on a Philips?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is this a good one for £40?
    http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1630044366.1224184...rmationSection

For the USB it says "Your digital music and photos will be played directly from the device" it doen't mention video?? DivX should play from the USB even though it doesnt say, right?
    http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/gb/consumer/cc/_productid_DVP5980_05_GB_CO...yer+DVP5980-05
    Quote Quote  
  12. The 5980 has a USB 1.1 port, not 2.0 like the 5990. You can play Divx and MPG video off the USB 1.1 port but high bitrate files, like DVD VOB files, will not play correctly (jerky). The bitrate limit is somewhere around 3500 kbps. Note that lower average bitrate VBR files may have peaks over that limit and those peak areas may get jerky.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So a no go zone then?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're interested in USB support via thumb drives or external hard drives...do yourself the favor and go the 5990 with USB 2.0.

I literally got mine yesterday and absolutely LOVE it...
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Im looking around for it but cant find it anywhere here apart from Amazon for £65, I much rather buy from a shop near me than online on everything I get but not having luck on this
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Tbag
    Im looking around for it but cant find it anywhere here apart from Amazon for £65, I much rather buy from a shop near me than online on everything I get but not having luck on this
    any wal-marts near you?I bought mine from them for $59 .all my divx movies are stored on my WD 250gb passport external drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We dont have any wal-marts
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Tbag
    So a no go zone then?
    The 5980 is simply more limited in the files it can play. It's rare to find a Divx/Xvid file with too high a bitrate.. DVD VOBs are almost always over the limit.

If you are looking for more flexibility you should look into media players like the Popcorn Hour. They cost a lot more but give you high def, networking, the ability to play DVD ISO images, h.264 decoding, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tbag
    How often do people run into this problem on a Philips?
    ALL, and yes I really do mean ALL, standalone DVD players that play Divx have limits on what they will play. That sticky is meant to help you. Any one or more of those things may or may not be problems on any DVD player you buy. It's not that hard to encode Divx to not use those options, but some of them may not be problems. If you buy a player that doesn't support some of those things, then you just have to learn to avoid those options and re-encode. That's just how it is.
    Quote Quote  
  20. xbox360,and PS3 both support Divx just in case you own one of them
    Quote Quote  
  21. Tbag Your an Arsenal supporter, so obviously cant be very intelligent.. . Im surprised you've read this far. FWIW Either the Philips or the Toshiba would suit you well.. Toshiba have good picture quality but phillips are slightly more compatible. BUT basically either will play 98% of any files you get..Sometimes sticking films on a USB (usb1.1) can cause stuttering, but on disc they will have no problem.
    Suits you sir ..Phillips 5990 or tosh 280 or other divx capable player (steer clear of the cheap no-name brands)
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RabidDog
    Tbag Your an Arsenal supporter, so obviously cant be very intelligent.. . Im surprised you've read this far. FWIW Either the Philips or the Toshiba would suit you well.. Toshiba have good picture quality but phillips are slightly more compatible. BUT basically either will play 98% of any files you get..Sometimes sticking films on a USB (usb1.1) can cause stuttering, but on disc they will have no problem.
    Suits you sir ..Phillips 5990 or tosh 280 or other divx capable player (steer clear of the cheap no-name brands)
    Im blanking out the top line that u wrote 8) . Do you know anywhere here where the 5990 can bought over the counter?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dont know if this matters but just checking, on the philips page the model no. shows DVP5990/05 but MJA mentioned 5990/92

Is there a difference
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you call Currys and see if they have the 5990? It's possible they do and it isn't in the catalog yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was busy today but tomorrow i'm going the phone a load of electrical shops and hoping i'll find at least 1 place that have it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I phoned up Comet, Currys/Dixons, Empire Direct who all dont have it, I tried Makro, Costco, Brighthouse, & Richer Sounds but there were closed by time I phoned them so gotta try on monday

I've seen 5990/05 & 5990/37 is there a difference other than where its from? (region)
    Quote Quote  
  27. buy it from amazon uk and get it over with
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I really dont want to buy from there, eg. if something goes wrong it not as easy to get it sorted out as taking it back to the shop that im familiar with.
    Quote Quote  
  29. As a Brit living in Canada, it is nice to see the "if something goes wrong " attitude prevailing there still.

Where in the UK are you, ?

1st off it treated nicely it should not go wrong, if you have kids and they might handle it roughly put it out of reach.

2nd off, unlike here, I think if returning Amazon pay the shipping.

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGk5fqavpIjZMAMzVLBQx.?p=philips+5990+dvd+pla...ei=UTF-8&rd=r2

is a search of where in the UK the philips can be found, it is a very nice player, bit flimsy but works great.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote