VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm wondering how good of a deal this is. I know that this is a model from 2008 but $500 has to be a good deal on this, right? I would like to use it for video editing and 3d modeling and animation. I'm not really sure how well this mac would work for that or how upgrade-able it would be.

Mac Pro - 8 Core 2.8GHz (2x Quad-core), 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, SuperDrive
    Features:
    • 2 x 2.8GHz Intel Quad Core Xeon 5300 Series Processors (8 cores total)
    • 4GB DDR2 RAM
    • 1TB Hard Drive Space
    • Dual Layer Super Drive (DVDRW/CDRW/DVD/CD)
    • ATI 2600XT 256MB VRAM

Includes:
    • Mac Pro
    • Power cable

Our Preowned machines are thoroughly tested by our trained technicians. Items will be fully functional, but may have minor scuffs and scratches to the exterior casing. Major disfigurements will be noted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    other than the lame video card it should be ok. for 3d modeling and video editing the video card wouldn't cut it.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    other than the lame video card it should be ok. for 3d modeling and video editing the video card wouldn't cut it.
    would i be able to upgrade it? if so what would you recommend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not a mac user but google returns this that appears to have some info.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/faq/mac-pro-default-graphics-cards-dvi-d...splayport.html
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i really don't see it as a "good deal", xeon 5300's are xeon version of the core2quads, in their day they were awesome but by todays standards they have been eclipsed by quite a bit, a single quad core haswell would smoke them.

a lot depends on what you mean by 3d modeling and video editing but if you plan on doing anything with either 4k or hevc then don't bother wasting your money.

the thing to remember with old hardware like this is that the seller isn't out to do you any favors, they are just hoping to offload their outdated hardware to some sucker.

it's your $500 but i would never spend that kind of cash on a Mac that's 5 years old and was slower than it's pc counterparts even when it was new.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When comparing to other offers for a Mac Pro 2008 from resellers, this seems to be about right for market value, depending on where you are located in the world.
    Note that this offer is without display. If I were to buy this, I'd upgrade the RAM and the graphics card (it even supports the NVIDIA Quadro K5000 !).
    (BTW, the Mac Pro "Eight Core" 2.8 GHz (2008) shipped with two Xeon E5462 chips, thus "5400 series". The only Mac Pro that shipped with 5300 series (X5365), was the Mac Pro "Eight Core" 3.0 GHz from 2007.)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a bit late here.
    If it's in good condition I'd buy it. I bought one back in Sept. for $800 w 2 keyboards and mouse and I love it.
    Running FCE and PtoTools HD TDM 10 on with no problem.
    Quote Quote