VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to play a DVD I ripped and put on an external hard drive with my LG smart TV (model 42LB6300) and it sort of halfway works. I'm flummoxed.

Here's what I did: I ripped one of my DVDs onto my computer, then transferred it as-is (a VIDEO_TS folder with vob files) to my external hard drive. I plugged it into a USB port on my LG smart TV, and it recognizes the individual files. I navigate through the hard drive folders but there is no way to just play the VIDEO_TS folder.

What I can do is click on the file that is the DVD menu, and it looks like it plays fine, but I can't click "play movie" or "scene selection" or anything. I can click on individual vob files and they play fine, too, but when it's time for the next vob file to play, there is a good 15 second delay as the TV searches for the file.

I've tried plugging the external drive into my Blu-ray player but it doesn't recognize it at all. I tried plugging it into my DVD player but it says "device not supported."

It seems like there should be some way to get this to play properly, but I'm baffled. Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If your TV doesn't support DVD folders it simply isn't going to work. You'll have to use something like VOB2MPG to make one MPG file. And you'll lose all the DVD navigation stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by glitterninja View Post
    I'm trying to play a DVD I ripped and put on an external hard drive with my LG smart TV (model 42LB6300) and it sort of halfway works. I'm flummoxed.

Here's what I did: I ripped one of my DVDs onto my computer, then transferred it as-is (a VIDEO_TS folder with vob files) to my external hard drive. I plugged it into a USB port on my LG smart TV, and it recognizes the individual files. I navigate through the hard drive folders but there is no way to just play the VIDEO_TS folder.

What I can do is click on the file that is the DVD menu, and it looks like it plays fine, but I can't click "play movie" or "scene selection" or anything. I can click on individual vob files and they play fine, too, but when it's time for the next vob file to play, there is a good 15 second delay as the TV searches for the file.

I've tried plugging the external drive into my Blu-ray player but it doesn't recognize it at all. I tried plugging it into my DVD player but it says "device not supported."

It seems like there should be some way to get this to play properly, but I'm baffled. Any thoughts?
    Do as jagabo suggests. Most TVs with built-in media players can play mpg files and VOB files but do not know how to navigate DVD files and folders. You can check your TV's manual to find out what other types of media files are supported.

Not all Blu-Ray and DVD players have the ability to play video files from their USB port. Some can only display photos or play music. Again you need to check the manual to find out what kinds of files can be played via USB, what kind/size of USB drives are supported, and if the USB drives have to be formatted as NTFS or FAT32.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ah, that explains it -- thanks so much! I'll try VOB2MPG.
    Quote Quote