VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Oppo DV-980H may have a dirty lens, according to the Oppo customer service person I spoke to. He said the lens cleaners do work, but they don't make recommendations, so thought I'd ask here. I'm assuming they're all basically the same, but I've never used one, so I don't know.

For whatever it's worth, I'm getting random freezing on DVD's. Not every time, and it is on Netflix discs, that I've noticed. Last week, had to finish watching a movie on another player, which made me wonder if it was the Oppo player. The customer service person I talked to said if it was the laser, I'd most likely be having other playback issues, and I'm not. He said a dirty lens can cause these random issues like this.

Anyway, any recommendations on a good lens cleaner appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NONE!!! DON'T USE ANY CD-DVD LENS CLEANERS EVER!!!! This will scratch the lens and at the speed that the dvd spins will do more
    damage than good. If you feel comfortable to open you dvd player then get a few "Q-tips" and Windex (or any other brand will do) then
    just spray the tip of the Q-tip 1 time (at the very end as much as you can) then take your Q-tip and just pass on a circular motion on the lens
    and DO NOT APPLY ANY FORCE ON THE LENS just a little pressure and voila it is done and your dvds will play like new try it!!! Let me know how
    it went!!!

Sisko
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've never opened this player, bit appears pretty simple......just a few screws, and off comes the top cover, from what I can see. I'm comfortable doing that, so maybe I'll give it a try. I wonder why the guy at Oppo would suggest a cleaner then? It could very well be just the Netflix movies, but I've had some that will freeze, but play fine in another player, or my computer, but I've had some that will have the same issue on my computer, in the same spot on the disc, so it's hard to say.

I'm assuming the lens will be very obvious when I open the player, yes?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Better to use isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip and gently clean the lense,i have done this many times with no ill effects.

Also look at the disc to see if it is dirty,people dont care how they handle rented movies since they didn't pay the retail price,give it a good cleaning if mucked up.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Better to use isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip and gently clean the lense,i have done this many times with no ill effects.

Also look at the disc to see if it is dirty,people dont care how they handle rented movies since they didn't pay the retail price,give it a good cleaning if mucked up.
    I was kind of wondering if alcohol might be better......and yes, I'm pretty sure it's due to them being handled/mishandled so much, being rentals. I've had some that looked like they skipped across a parking lot, and no problem with playback, and others that seem to be fine, but freeze. I know it doesn't take much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a clear window cleaning solution is ok, you can usually pick them up at auto parts places. it's the blue dye that can leave a haze. straight 91%+ rubbing alcohol doesn't remove airborne grease/tar deposits as well as window cleaners.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    washing dvds/b.r.'s is fine with warm water and dish soap. make sure to use 100% cotton towels to dry with. paper towels and polyester can cause more scratches.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    a clear window cleaning solution is ok, you can usually pick them up at auto parts places. it's the blue dye that can leave a haze. straight 91%+ rubbing alcohol doesn't remove airborne grease/tar deposits as well as window cleaners.
    Yeah, I have some clear solution I can try. Almost makes me wonder if a drop of vinegar on a Q-tip would work well. It's clear, cuts grease, and I don't think it leaves residue. I'll probably stick with the window cleaner.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Rubbing acohol wasnt mention,isopropyl alcohol is better.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking at a bottle of 70% "Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol" -- can I use it or not?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

rubbing alcohol is isopropyl.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CSULB71 View Post
    I'm looking at a bottle of 70% "Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol" -- can I use it or not?
    yes it just has more water content and will evaporate more slowly. i'd use a dry qtip after a wet one to try and prevent leaving a haze.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is rubbing alcohol but it might not be as pure as it should be for this. 91% isopropyl is a lot cheaper than the anhydrous stuff.

I just breath on the lens. VERY carefully and I have a loft experience cleaning camera lenses. A q-tip and breath worked for me with a dvd lens when I couldn't get a brush lens cleaner to work. For a lens cleaning solution I recommend the type that is intended for anti-reflection coated glasses. That is mostly distilled water which is what you are getting breathing on the lens.

Camera lens cleaning solutions have always left a residue for me that I have to breath off. NEVER spray the lens. Wet the q-tip or lens tissue if you must use a cleaning solution.

Vinegar - might work. It works on glass sometimes when standard standard cleaners don't. I think this is because it is acidic and standard cleaners are basic. At least it worked better for the photo lab I used to work in. I would not try it first but it might be good for idiots that smoke.

Ethelred
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    I am disabled so don't want to fiddle with my DVD player!!! I have a DVD player cleaner from a Panasonic store, however it shows as a CD, it telsl me to go to track 2, I hae never played a CD on my player, don't know how to get to track 2!! Its a foreigh language and track 2 is english.

I think it does need cleaning, my other one lasted years though. only had mine about 2 or 3 years how long do they last?

Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post

rubbing alcohol is isopropyl.
    Not necessarily. Don't use anything else but isopropyl.

And do not touch the laser itself. With anything.

The only way I'd do this would be to dribble isopropyl over the laser head so the dirt would be carries away.

However, I also suspect the OP is a victim of bad tech advice. If the 'advisor' actually knew anything he or she should be able to make recommendations.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pigsty213 View Post
    I have a DVD player cleaner from a Panasonic store, however it shows as a CD, it telsl me to go to track 2, I hae never played a CD on my player, don't know how to get to track 2!! Its a foreigh language and track 2 is english.
    You obviously did NOT read any of this thread before posting!!!!!!
    Quote Quote