1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Appreciate any info to get this 2nd gen Sony player
    DVP-S3000 to play DVD-R.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your S3000 is an almost exact replica of my DVP-S7000. We're pretty much in the same boat. These players are just too old. About one in ten DVD-R's I make with AC-3 or PCM audio will play. The other 9 out of 10 just cause the player to puke and say "check disc."

DVD-R's with mpeg audio, even when you can get a picture, will not have sound (hitting the audio select button on the remote brings up a message saying "this disc has no audio").

That said, you can increase your chances of getting a playable disc by using DVD MovieFactory or DVD Workshop to author your discs. Make sure you use PCM audio or AC-3 audio. Just use ONE movie per disc, and NO menus (chapters themselves are okay, just don't create a chapter menu). Burn to disc in MovieFactory or Workshop. Do NOT use Nero or VOB to do your burning (haven't tried RecordNow).

These two Sony players seem to accept discs authored and burned by Ulead DVD MovieFactory and DVD Workshop more easily than other programs. Sonic MyDVD seems to produce discs that can play, too. But I've NEVER gotten a disc authored by Dazzle DVD Complete to play in my 7000.

Nero and VOB CD+DVD to burn your authored files are also poison for this machine. I authored a movie and created the VIDEO_TS folder with MovieFactory, then burned it with MovieFactory (PCM sound, no menus). My 7000 played it fine. I took that *same* VIDEO_TS folder and burned it with Nero (tried DVD-Video mode and the UDF 1.02 mode). Nothing but "check disc." Ditto for VOB.

Don't get your hopes up too much here. You can follow every step I've mentioned above, and many of your DVD-R's still won't play in the 3000 or 7000. But those little tips will increase your chances somewhat.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Robert,

Thanks a ton. I dont have big hope after reading
    some past posts, like you've said, it is too old for these new
    medias. Your straight practical reply certainly enlightens me somewhat.
    Will try your route and see.
    I have Nero Express and MyDVD right now.
    Burnt the DVD-RW(Princo) it comes with the Cendyne package using
    DVD2ONE -> Nero Express.
    Wont play on the Sony and Apex AD-600A, but plays fine on GE1101P.

This Sony is such good quality at the time and great pictures playback
    I might add. Yours 7000 probably even better in pic and quality.
    Quote Quote