VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello everyone, I am James and I just registered.

Facts about me:
    - Newbie in DVD Ripping.
    - Mac user.
    - Also have access to Windows XP. Last resort though.

I used a software called Mac DVDRipper Pro to rip a DVD.
    The output file was NAME_OF_THE_MOVIE.dvdmedia kind of file.
    If I understand correctly the software created an entire copy of the DVD disk on my hard drive.
    Apparently that .dvdmedia output file I got seems to be the exact quality (or at least almost exact) as the original DVD (lossless quality).
    So, entire DVD copy + lossless quality means I got myself an entire backup of my DVD.
    This far I am fine with the process as long as I only want to play the file on my Mac.
    What process do I follow if I want to burn it to a DVD?
    When burning the movie to a DVD is lossless quality possible?
    If lossless quality is out of the question, how can I achieve the least quality loss possible?

P.S.: I actually was surprised when I saw that the output file was .dvdmedia kind of file because I initially was expecting that it would be something like an .avi, .mp4, etc. file along with an .srt, .sub, etc. file, pretty much like the files they distribute in torrent sites and so on. If it was like that then I could easily burn them in a DVD because I already have a software in which I insert .avi and .srt files and burns them to DVD.

Thanks in-advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If it is the entire DVD, it should have a VIDEO_TS folder in there, with BUPs, VOBs and IFO files inside. (You can look to the upper left on this page under 'WHAT IS' DVD for more info on the DVD format, structure and specification.) That's all you need to burn it to DVD, besides a burning program. But most commercial DVDs are a bit larger than what will fit on a single layer DVD, so you would have to use a dual layer DVD. Or get rid of the extras and the main movie only may fit a standard single layer 4.37GB DVD.

But our regular Mac users can give you more specific information.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    If it is the entire DVD, it should have a VIDEO_TS folder in there, with BUPs, VOBs and IFO files inside. (You can look to the upper left on this page under 'WHAT IS' DVD for more info on the DVD format, structure and specification.) That's all you need to burn it to DVD, besides a burning program. But most commercial DVDs are a bit larger than what will fit on a single layer DVD, so you would have to use a dual layer DVD. Or get rid of the extras and the main movie only may fit a standard single layer 4.37GB DVD.

But our regular Mac users can give you more specific information.

And welcome to our forums.
    I "right clicked" the .dvdmedia file I mentioned before and then I clicked "Show Package Contents".
    You are correct indeed, as it opened a folder with VIDEO_TS, BUP's, etc. as you mentioned.
    However, apparently it is 7.02 GB which means I can't burn it to a single layer.
    So, without any modifications my only solution is a double layer since it can hold 7.95 GB.
    Anyone knows if Macbooks burn double layer DVD's?
    Otherwise I would have to shrink the file to 4.37 GB in order to fit in single layer.
    Well, a) I don't know how to do that and b) is it worth it?
    I mean 3.58 GB (7.95 - 4.37 GB) is a lot of loss in quality isn't it?

Thank you for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    While you are looking at the VOBs, you might see how many of them you have. VOBs are a standard size of about 1GB. There are usually four or so of the main movie, followed by a smaller one that contains the remainder of the movie. That might give you an idea if it will fit on a single layer DVD. Of course if you eliminate the extras there will be more room. VOBs also contain alternate languages, menus and subs and if those are removed, it will be smaller.

But you still need a program to shrink or re-encode or edit the existing VIDEO_TS folder to reduce it's size. No idea how to do that using a Mac, but I'm sure there are several programs for that purpose.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    While you are looking at the VOBs, you might see how many of them you have. VOBs are a standard size of about 1GB. There are usually four or so of the main movie, followed by a smaller one that contains the remainder of the movie. That might give you an idea if it will fit on a single layer DVD. Of course if you eliminate the extras there will be more room. VOBs also contain alternate languages, menus and subs and if those are removed, it will be smaller.

But you still need a program to shrink or re-encode or edit the existing VIDEO_TS folder to reduce it's size. No idea how to do that using a Mac, but I'm sure there are several programs for that purpose.
    I did look at the VOB's and I found there's 6 VOB's of about 1 GB and then 1 more of 679.4 MB making a total of 7 VOB's of approximately 6,6 GB.
    So, I guess the possibility of burning them to a single layer is out of the question.
    I also don't know how to get rid of the extras, languages and subtitles I don't need as you said.

Anyone else can help me, since redwudz isn't aware of a Mac software able to do all the above?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I actually used DVD2ONE with TOAST while guided of course by this thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/102887-How-to-PROPERLY-burn-DVD2ONE-DVD-s-using-TOAST-6-0
    and the result was ok.

So, thread /closed.
    Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by itsjamesd View Post
    Anyone knows if Macbooks burn double layer DVD's?
    Some MacBooks have a double/dual layer (DL) DVD writer. It depends on the model. Check Apple menu > "About this Mac" > "More Info" (System Profiler) > Hardware > Disc Burning > DVD Write to see if it mentions "DL".
    Quote Quote