VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a beginner in video compression and condecs, on the other hand, I'm confused about setting the compression in the video and audio section in Virtualdub. I'm using Virtualdub because it has the Neat Video plugin to remove video grain from vhs tapes. After the video is completed in Virtualdub as an avi, It is transfered into Premiere Pro for color correction. I'm burning the final video in Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14. What codec to use in Virtualdub and Premiere Pro? I was using Panasonic DV codec and Mpeg Layer-4 in Virtualdub. Thanks.

Virtualdub Compression Codecs

Uncompressed RGB/YCbCr
    Cinepak by Radius
    Intel IYUV Codec
    Microsoft RLE
    Microsoft Video 1
    Panasonic DV Codec
    Xvid Mpeg-4 Codec

Audio Compression Codecs

No compression(PCM)
    CCITT -Law
    CCITT u-Law
    IMA ADPCM
    Mpeg Layer-4

Gerald Sr.
    Gerald Sr.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you still on the Pentium 4 listed in your profile? Neat Video is very processor intensive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Gerald Sr. View Post
    I'm a beginner in video compression and condecs, on the other hand, I'm confused about setting the compression in the video and audio section in Virtualdub. I'm using Virtualdub because it has the Neat Video plugin to remove video grain from vhs tapes. After the video is completed in Virtualdub as an avi, It is transfered into Premiere Pro for color correction. I'm burning the final video in Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14. What codec to use in Virtualdub and Premiere Pro? I was using Panasonic DV codec and Mpeg Layer-4 in Virtualdub. Thanks.

Virtualdub Compression Codecs

Uncompressed RGB/YCbCr
    Cinepak by Radius
    Intel IYUV Codec
    Microsoft RLE
    Microsoft Video 1
    Panasonic DV Codec
    Xvid Mpeg-4 Codec

Audio Compression Codecs

No compression(PCM)
    CCITT -Law
    CCITT u-Law
    IMA ADPCM
    Mpeg Layer-4

Gerald Sr.
    And you really do know how to screw up a video. Where did you learn to lossy re-encode VHS captures 3 or 4 times in a row? You do know what lossy encoding is, right? You didn't learn to abuse video that way in this forum.

Lossless video codecs:
    Lagarith
    huffyuv
    UT Video Codec

Lossless audio codec for multiple processing stages prior to final encode:
    "No compression (PCM)"

I'd drop Pinnacle down the toilet and use something better. Most of the better stuff is free. On the other hand, if quality isn't a goal then you should change nothing. Just replacing a lossless codec in one of 3 destructively lossy steps won't make any difference.

NeatVideo is not a fast filter, especially with the PC your profile says you have. Even on a fast new i5 intel it runs only about 15fps. What did you expect, especially since you're running NeatVideo and a complete lossy re-encode at the same time?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. I told you that I'm a beginner, why are you chastising me for being a beginner? I came to this forum for some answers, consequently, I didn't received any from you sir, and you didn't explained in detail what I had done wrong. Is this the answer you give to beginners on this forum? The Administrator of this forum should not allow people such as yourself to harass forum members with negative comments. I'm sure you've been in my shoes before. I'm on this forum to gain useful information not negative comments.

Gerald Sr.
    Last edited by Gerald Sr.; 12th Apr 2015 at 11:05.
    Gerald Sr.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Not harrassing anyone, and I did get into some detail. Your profile says you've been in this forum since 2005, enough time to absorb the facts about lossy re-encoding and the preferred methods to use for doing what you want to do. Color correction, denoising, and such operations should be done using lossless media (I listed three free lossless compressors that are in popular use). DV-AVI is not lossless, nor is MPEG-4 or the other compressors you listed. Compression to output formats such as MPEG-4, h264, MPEG2, etc., should be the last steps in the workflow you describe.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    DV-AVI is not lossless...
    True but it certainly can be used to do color correction, denoising and other operations.

I am a big fan of lossless VHS capture because I believe archiving sources should be without compromises (within reason) .

But I totally disagree with you that one cannnot or should not edit a reasonably compressed VHS capture.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    For inconsequentiual material, DV-AVI can be abused as much as one could possibly wish, maybe re-encoding 10 or 12 times, resizing/cropping interlaced video, and whatnot, and most viewers wouldn't know the results from a grilled cheese sandwich. Anyone can nonchalantly lower the bar on video processing. In that case, one hardly needs videohelp. You can get the same advice from PCmag or Premiere's forums. Why login here?

I'm wondering why the O.P. asked the question "What codec to use in Virtualdub and Premiere Pro?" when he already shows he has Cinepak and Panasonic encoders mounted. What difference would it make? I believe Premiere Pro can use at least one, maybe both. Or try DV on one step, then MPEG-4 on the next step. I'd say that if you value the results, go lossless from first step to last, then encode to the final output. If you don't care, it hardly matters whether it's lossles or not. They're his tapes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    For inconsequentiual material, DV-AVI can be abused as much as one could possibly wish, maybe re-encoding 10 or 12 times, resizing/cropping interlaced video, and whatnot, and most viewers wouldn't know the results from a grilled cheese sandwich.
    DV-AVI wouldn't be my choice for intermediate steps (unless the source was DV-AVI and I was doing lossless cut editing), but to compare it with resizing/cropping interlaced video is just silly. The use of DV-AVI in intermediate steps is usually invisible in the final output. Resizing/cropping interlaced video (in a dumb way, which mangles the interlacing) is catastrophic.

I would use lossless compression (or even no compression) for intermediate steps (and I would avoid intermediate steps where ever possible) - but beware of buggy lossless codecs.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I agree with all that, but you'd be surprised how many people crop off bottom and side borders and then resize interlaced video to "fill the frame".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Who knows, maybe the OP is also attempting to use non-mod2 framesizes and that is making the encoder(s) choke.

Scott
    Quote Quote