VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any batch video encoder that can split videos by duration while it's re-encoding?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Generally speaking reencoding is done AFTER editing.

You edit first then reencode.

Why can't you split before encoding?

And also although I'm not as seasoned as some of our other members here I don't believe that's possible. Reencoding is a "static" process as far as I know. Things are applied to a reencode but I don't think you can be moving the target so to speak while encoding.

Others may have more knowledge on this but I think my answer will be no you can't.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pretty sure VidCoder can and many others as well......
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  4. Many encoders will split after a specified size, but after a specific duration might be a different story. Off the top of my head, I can't think of one. Splitting after a particular size is one of those functions which carried over from the dark ages when people burned encodes to CDs (or DVDs) and the show stopper was the size of the file.

You can tell Vidcoder to "start here" and "stop there" but it's not the same as automatically splitting, and maybe I'm too silly to find it, but I couldn't even see a setting for splitting after a specific file size.
    Quote Quote  
  5. MediaCoder has a split by duration on the "Time Tab" . There is a CLI version if that's what you're after. I don't know of it's capabillities.
    Quote Quote