VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to take several HD-DVDs I bought before the deathknell, and clean up the grain and add a little sharpening before I resize them to 1280X720 for permanent archiving. I have seen multiple guides about how to convert HD-DVD to Blu-ray. Almost every single one is about changing framerate/wrapper settings to be compatible with the BR spec.

I want to convert the VC-1 codec video to a generic video format so I can edit/resize/etc. (AVI preferably) Does anyone have any suggestions?

I can split out the audio track with either Eac3to or EVODemux. The problem come is trying to convert the VC1 file to anything else. (I am on Vista, so I have the newest WMV codecs.)
    • I have tried megui and the graphedit step always breaks. For some reason the Matroski splitter does not read the VC1 codec.
      I have tried mediacoder, but no output is generated.
      Nero Vision seems to work, but the processing time is prohibitive.
      Windows Media Encoder seemed to work, but stopped 22 minutes in, (5 hours of processing) saying it was complete.
      Adobe Premiere supposedly handles HD. I can bring in the 20 minute Media encoded version, but the actual VC1 errors out in Premiere.
      Supposedly MS Expression Encoder is the best solution, but it can't read the VC1 file, even though it can export the exact same format. (this was on the latest V2 Beta, so I didn't even try the trial of V1).

All I want is a video file that can be pulled into Vdub, AviSynth, etc. for processing. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our blu-ray/hd-dvd to avi section.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for the move. I wasn't sure where to post since the forum title was Blu-ray only.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You could try Gabest's Matroska Muxer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Midzuki, what is the name of the muxer?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've had success with DirectShowSource and avisynth for VC-1 m2ts files, TsMuxeR is also good for demuxing the audio

Don't forget to enter the fps, or you will get sync issues. I also put convertfps=true, and it seems to work for me. Of course you need Haali media splitter, avisynth 2.5.7 (or greater) installed etc...

DirectShowSource("(path)\file.m2ts",fps=23.976, convertfps=true, audio=false)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Matroskamuxer.ax is a DS filter to be used together with "File Writer"
    inside GraphEdit. It does work for copying VC-1 streams from ASFs into MKV files.
    But if you can extract elementary (not raw) VC-1 files from the EVOs,
    then I guess you'd better try TSmuxer for wrapping them in transport streams
    (as poisondeathray has just pointed out --- yes, I'm terrible at typing ).
    Another option: it is possible to open proper VC-1 files with Avisynth's DirectShowSource
    if you have the damn "vc1esparser.dll" on your %System32% directory.

Code:
    # The video source does have constant frame rate
    DirectShowSource("example.vc1", fps=29.97, framecount=120000)
    # It works!
    P.S.: for the curious:

<rot13>uggc://nh.trbpvgvrf.pbz/enfubwva_zvmhxv/cho/</rot13>
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to be coming in so late in this thread but could some provide a location for the vc1esparser.dll?
    I have just come back to working VC1 material and have had mixed results.

Regards,

Levick
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Mr. levick,

haven't you ever heard of ROT-13

<rot13>uggc://nh.trbpvgvrf.pbz/enfubwva_zvmhxv/cho/</rot13>
    FYI, there is a very good reason why the URL quoted above is "encrypted".
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Midzuki,

Thank you kind sir for opening my eyes...so appreciated..

Levick
    Quote Quote  
  11. This link had a very high google search result, so I figured I'd put the answer here that I got looking up a similar question for hours.

It is easy to convert vc-1 or wmv9 to any other form of AVI, such as h.264, xvid or divx using mencoder and any mencoder front end. Right now I like winmenc for windows.

The trick is to make sure in the codecs folder there are binary codecs. In this case, I believe the codec you need is wvc1dmod.dll but I'm not sure since I put all of them in and it worked after that.

Download the codecs, put them into the folder and the conversion of a file on your computer is amazingly simple.
    Quote Quote