VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I am about to, in the near future hopefully, upgrade my Sony VX-2100 SD cameras to full HD cameras and start filming in HD. As much as I love my current cameras, I know that the video landscape has changed considerably and I need to change along with it.

So I have a couple of questions. For those of you who film strictly in HD, what is your primary delivery format as far as video goes? Is it still in SD widescreen or are your clients asking for HD for the most part? And do you use the camera's downscaling functions or do you downscale through your video editing software?

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I get a mix, so I ALWAYS shoot in HD now, and then downscale either in the NLE or after (in AVISynth/Vdub, subsequent encoder, etc). Basically, I follow the rule that you keep it as high quality as possible up until the very end, and then tailor it at that point for your target audience/devices. Even if I know a particular client currently ONLY wants SD now (they will likely change their mind later on).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Cornucopia. How long do you intend on keeping completed projects with the expectation that clients will return and request HD versions? Do you store the projects or the completed video?

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My previous production company's policy was: forever.
    My personal policy is: ~10 years to store masters, backups & raw footage not owned by me (at my expense, after having built that into the original price). Then at that time, contacting client to inform of dumping of items within a certain time period, giving them a chance to reclaim their own materials at their option. I would then dump what they didn't reclaim, keeping duplicates of whatever material I wanted to have available for personal/demo/sample purposes. Projects that are wholely owned by me, I keep forever. Sometimes including even intermediates (when there are multiple, complicated processes being done, like compositing or restoration).
    I ALWAYS store the projects (they're small - why not?). Usually also the completed video (unless told otherwise by the client). Often also backups of the raw footage.

Always think about "how long would it take to exactly re-create this?" and save accordingly to minimize your time/effort/money/budget. If you actually have a "policy", it is both more official to clients and easier to remember what tasks to do.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One of the biggest impacts of HDV is the color space. You get more dynamic range.

You can still use your old SD cameras, and use that video in a picture-in-picture setting. So long as you don't scale it.
    Last edited by budwzr; 12th Feb 2013 at 22:25.
    Quote Quote