VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I can't seem to do this - I have the toolnix toolchain and currently am having some success creating TS files
    using mmg.exe and TSmuxerGUI but nothing I can do seems to get chapters or searching to work.

Can anyone explain or point me at a FAQ with known working solutions for this please?

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hmm.. no one knows then.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please give more INFO.

Searching and chapters to work in what? Software player like VLC or media device?
    TS with what kind of video and audio source? mpeg2 or h264?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Anything except on a PC basicaly.

Take a standard DVD - turn it into MKV with say - MakeMKV or use MKVmergeGUI
    create start time and chapter names data save it to the MKV file
    Playback on device such as TV or Bluray and chapters are not recognised and (on my LG player at least)
    the fast forward searching doesnt work.
    Try encoding into .TS and still not recognised.

Has anyone produced a short file with chapters that can be downloaded and used as a test
    to check hardware playability maybe ?

A HOWTO on chapters/search functions in MKV/TS files would be very welcome.
    A search here reveals many people asking and no actualy working responses I can find.
    Quote Quote  
  5. TS cannot contain chapters. Read a bit more about MKV container: it supports a few types of chapters. It can be that your player doesn't recognise one or all of them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes I wondered if it was my player at fault which is why I was asking about an example file.

However I now know it is not the player as commercially produced files seem to work.
    For example .TS files generated by the Humax HDR Fox T2 will play and seek correctly.

It seems clear that the collections of applications such as mmg.exe TSMuxer etc do not correctly handle
    whatever it is that controls chapters and searching.

I have taken your advice and read up on MKV and it clearly states that 2 types of chaptering are supported
    and therefore should work - but dont.

It mentions nothing about forward/reverse seeking at all as far as I can see which would explain why that doesnt
    work either.

Interestingly this searching issue seems to be a long standing one always claimed to be a hardware issue and yet
    it clearly isn't. It is the applications generating the files that are at fault otherwise my freeview box would not be able to generate files that do work.

As all the applications are so split up and use so many "other" applications to do stuff I dont know who needs to fix this.

The real problem of course is the totally absurd number of formats for everything.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Get a better media player that can fast forwards most formats.

You wont find a software that makes ts files exact as the humax hdr does.
    Quote Quote  
  8. As I said above - the player functions correctly and can be seen to do so.

It is the software tools that do not make correct files.
    i.e mkvmerge TsMuxer etc do not create fully functional files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know how to extract chapter.txt from a BD or more precisely from a MPLS file.
    But from a .ts file? how can I extract chapters?
    What soft should I use?
    or better, what script is required?

Thx!
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ The containers MPG/VOB and TS/M2TS don't have a global header and don't support chapter marks either. Transport streams were created for broadcasting The format was chosen (and modified) by the Blu-Ray people because of the P.I.P. feature, which is a "secondary program", technically speaking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well... No chance?
    Quote Quote