VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Three Stooges Collections which do not have subs, only closed captions which HDMI does not support.

I use ccextractor to extract the closed captions to .srt, demux the titles to elementary streams, then reauthor a new DVD.....but what if I want to add the subs and keep the original menus? Seems like quite a bit, and maybe not even worth it. I'm not deaf or hard of hearing, but was just wondering if this is something that could be done, without way too much effort, that would make it worthwhile.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    May be too much effort.

Quick and dirty method:

1: Rip dvd to hd and demux the main title into separate streams.
    2: Confirm this SRT is timed properly ... use subtitle workshop.
    3: Remux all streams into vob ... use any muxer you want.
    4: Use vobblanker to replace original title with the updated version
    5: Playback on pc the new edition before committing to media
    6: When played via home dvd player to see subtitles just hit the subtitle button on the remote.

Relatively simple ... well it is the quick and dirty method
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Relatively simple ... well it is the quick and dirty method
    It's also the standard method. Baldrick has written a guide. Follow his method 2:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the quick replies. Might be more work than what it's worth. I may try it out on one DVD and see how long it takes. I guess I'll go from there. Thanks again.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I'm finding out, it's going to be even more work, as there are like 10-12 titles (episodes) per disc, not 1 that makes up all of them. Oh well, I can live without this. Good thing for me I'm not deaf or hard of hearing. Seems like deaf people get the $hi7 end of the stick. My blu ray player also doesn't support subs in Netflix. Are the deaf not people too? Why would they leave such an important feature out of products? What year is this?
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote