VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me.

I want to put my DVD collection on my hard drive and was wondering what the best way of doing this is? I know very little about the process so please go easy on me I have some preferences although I am open to alternative suggestions.

1/ I want to compress (no more than 2gb per movie) so I can fit more on my hard drive but I don't want to lose too much picture & sound quality.
    2/ The copies should appear as a single file with the file extension being flexible with various media players.
    3/ To save on space, I am not bothered about keeping the extras / bonus features etc.
    4/ If possible I would like to keep the chapters although if this means I am unable to reduce file size then I'm not too fussed.

I would be grateful for any suggestions on the best way to go about this.

Happy New Year to you all

Many thanks - Banrock
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For simplicity's sake, you can keep it down to roughly 3 steps:

First, rip each DVD to your hard drive using DVDFab HD Decrypter (the free, ripping portion of the DVDFab tool).

Second, use AutoGK (also free) to convert each DVD title to an xvid avi file. This type of avi can give you the visual quality of your DVD at a fraction of the hard drive space. Sorry, but don't expect to keep chapter points.

Third, view the movies on VLC Media Player -- the best of the media players.

In the Tools section of this site, you will be able to find all of the free software mentioned. There are guides to go along with them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the advice. I will give them a go. I have just evaluated fairuse which seems ok but it took 12 hours to run the process. Do all converters take this long? Is there a bit of software that runs the whole process and quickly?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If your computer details are correct, it will take a long time for conversions. Doesn't matter much which program you use if they all use the same Xvid codec and settings.
    Quote Quote