VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I searched but did not find a thread along these lines. I will be using VHS -TBC- Canopus-Mac Book Pro. My understanding is that you can output the incoming signal (through the Canopus) to a seperate monitor.

Should I just make my adjustments with my MBP screen or should I output to a CRT as well?

I have an old SONY 13" color TV that has a great picture

My guess is that going forward these movies will be viewed on a computer and not on my big LCD TV.

Thanks for your help with this and my last question! These forums are incredible for a newb; glad I found you all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The brightness or gamma setting of laptop screens may be less than optimal as reference screen for watching computer videos. People adjust the brightness and contrast all the time for comfortable use with a wide array of applications (e.g. reading text in word processors or web pages), not considering accurate color in videos. With laptops even more so, as they are mobile and used in a variety of environments with different ambient light.

It may be a very good idea to hook up a tv to watch your footage on a reference screen once in a while, to prevent errors in brightness and color (saturation) that you may not be aware of, when just looking at the one laptop screen, calibrated or not.

Not sure if the capture device allows controls for color, but as capturer you should at least be aware what's going on, and what may need fixing in post processing.

Other than that, I see little use for a second monitor.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A CRT will give you a better looking picture for VHS. When I dub a VHS I monitor with a 13' CRT monitor ( Panasonic CT-1381 industrial...no tuner). It almost always looks better then on my computer 19' LCD. I use the S-VHS output from my video card to the S-VHS input on the monitor.
    Quote Quote