VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i'm just wondering what user's "go to" software is, i.e. when you have a job to do what it the first app you try.

i know jagabo does things almost exclusively via avisynth scripts and encodes via x264 cli but i want to see what the rest of you prefer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Haven't we been here before?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    can't remember, have we?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas because it's fast.......
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    You only joined in May. Maybe you're having déjà vu...

Anyway, I usually end up using CorelStudio simply because I was using Ulead virtually from its inception.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I deal mainly with MPEG2 stuff so it's:
    AviDemux
    MPEG-VCR
    VirtualDub (then frameserved over to...
    MainConcept Reference (OLD version)
    For audio work(replacing audio in video) it's:
    GoldWave
    Reaper
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Adobe Premiere CS6.
    Does not have a steep learning curve and plugins are plentiful.

Brainiac
    Last edited by Brainiac; 28th Jun 2014 at 10:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For video: Vegas, Premiere, Media Composer, Virtualdub, AE, FCP, AVISynth, others, in descending order of frequency of use.
    For audio: ProTools, Audition, SoundForge, Audacity, Cakewalk Sonar, Reaper, others...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    You only joined in May. Maybe you're having déjà vu...
    I've searched through this forum since 2007. Yes, there was a favorite editor thread about a year ago.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    video: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.0.3>Debugmode frameserver>avisynth>Simple x264 Launcher; Encore
    audio: Adobe Audition
    Why? I got used to Premiere, since I first got a full version bundled with an ADSTech Pyro Pro firewire card way back 1999.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  11. Avid Media Composer -- solid,
    Premiere Pro -- flexible (plus AE, PS, Audition, Encore)
    Vegas Movie Studio --down n' dirty
    Winff with customized ffmpeg/ffmbc presets for conversions
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Yes, most topics have been discussed before, and why the frak is some noob who joined in May making dumb snide know it all remarks?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i'm actually surprised by some of the responses, it seems quite a few of you favor the pro stuff, i was half expecting more run of the mill, every day editing solutions, like avidemux or tmpg video mastering works or the cheaper sony stuff like movie studio.

personally i can't wait to see cyberlink's power director with hevc support (their encoder already features hevc encoding).
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I only need to edit TV shows recorded by a DVD recorder, a TV tuner card, or a capture device. All my recordings are MPEG-2 so far but I'll receive Hauppauge Colossus next week that records to H.264

Between them, these can edit everything I'm likely to see:

VideoReDo TV Suite H.264
    MPEG-VCR
    Cuttermaran

VideoReDo is good for handling transmission errors in OTA broadcast and edits H.264. MPEG-VCR can edit TAO files from ISOBuster. Cuttermaran can perform frame-accurate cuts on elementary MPEG-2 streams.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Jun 2014 at 11:35.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I don't do that much editing, so the amateur tools work fine for the occasional job. AviDemux, VideoRedo TV Suite and Audacity are tools I use, and I have an old copy of Premiere if I find it necessary to do more.
    Quote Quote  
  16. It really depends on what types of tasks are required when you say "editing".

There is no 1 tool that is best suited for everything

e.g. some NLE's are overkill if all you have to do is make some simple cuts or edit out commercials . But some complex editing projects are next to impossible in something like vdub or avidemux
    Quote Quote  
  17. These days I also mostly work with MPEG2 video from camcorder and DVD recorder. I prefer TDA for cutting as it doesn't re-encode; being able to cut on more than just I frames would be nice, but with camcorder footage it hasn't been an issue.

I use TMPEGenc to encode new MPEG2 content, sometime with Vdub as a frame server. If I want to add effects I use NeroVisionExpress (from v7 or older, the newer version isn't as good), simply because I had it, it outputs DVD files I can easily add in TDA, does a decent job (Ultrabuffer just copies DVD compliant video) and is fast.

I know I could use better, but it does one thing that I haven't found another program to do it with; it's able to recover watchable video from badly smudged DVD's.

I used to work with Premiere, but I haven't needed it in a long time. I still use Photoshop to generate buttons and backgrounds for TDA. I would like to get Movie Studio Platinum someday, but so far I haven't had a need for it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I work with DV and DVD. For editing I use Ulead MediastudioPro and for authoring, Ulead DVD Workshop 2. Why? Well there's probably other more modern software around that will do the same job but it took me so long to learn how to use it, I don't feel inclined to start all over again learning something else!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    i'm actually surprised by some of the responses, it seems quite a few of you favor the pro stuff, i was half expecting more run of the mill, every day editing solutions, like avidemux or tmpg video mastering works or the cheaper sony stuff like movie studio.
    Vegas is my "go to NLE" for when I need to edit a video to meet a deadline. It is by far the fastest editor I have used and scripts make it faster yet. However, I could just as easily edit any video in Aviutl, though it will take a longer time (similar in time to Premiere for example).
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi,

Do try TEncoder Video Converter
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by socrates View Post
    hi,

Do try TEncoder Video Converter
    Any chance you could do a guide on how you remove the adverts from the lastest '24: Live Another Day' with that?
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm sure this topic came up not long ago... and for many times by different members...

Since I now have no $$$ and really hate Adobe's licensing/activation policy, there's not many choice for me:
    1> AviUtl : NLE /w GUI, Free, Lua scripting support, plugins not that hard to write, active community
    2> MikuMikuDance: not a video editor actually, but great for quick generation of 3D FX like smoke, fire and water.
    3> Avisynth+ and AvsPmod: indispensable for the toolbox, but used only occasionally
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!