VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Presently i have a gsa-h22l drive i have Philips 8.5 gig disks that are 8x -- my gsa-h22l well only do 2.4x burn for these disk way to slow for me.. I got a lg(gsa-h55l) it claims it burns the dual layer disks at 10x ..my 8x disks would only go at 4x the only reason i got the new drive was for the speed so i returned the drive...and got a lg(gsa-e40l) external usb drive.... it well only burn them at 2.4x...so all be returning that drive as well... can anyone recomend a drive that well actually burn them at the proper speed...i know some brands and some drives get different results with speeds with the 4.7 gig disks... but the dual layer disks are way to expensive to try different brands with...for example the philips 25 pack 8x dual layer disks i have sell for $84.00... they cost more than the burner...can anyone reccomend a make and model of drive that should resolve my issue...
    To my friend, my mate, my love, my queen - the honour is to serve
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would never burn DLs faster then 2.4x anyway.

I use the best, Verbatims.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Burn speed is controlled via the drives firmware. Most likely, the discs you are trying to use are new or not part of the firmware in the drives you were trying to use, so the drives default to the slowest speed. A firmware update likely would have corrected the issue.

And FWIW, you also may want to change your choice in media. The only reliable brand available at the moment is Verbatim. I've tried Playo, Matrix, Memorex, Ritek, and Verbatim. Verbatim discs are the only brand to successfully burn and pass testing error free. These were all tested using a NEC 3520a and Pioneer 112D burners both using the latest firmware and various burning speeds.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pioneer
    6x max suggested, 4x preferred
    Verbatim media only, nothing else
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the suggestion on media all try to get some verbatim...i did try upgrading to the latest firmware as you said krispy but with no luck...mabe a change for media well help...but setting media aside can anyone suggest a good reliable burner for the dual layer disks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pioneer DVR-111, 112 or the SATA cousin 212. You won't go wrong any of them.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Pio 112d and burn Verb DL disc with excellent results. I have burned at 8x with no problem but would slow it down to insure better quality.
    I would also suggest burning with imgburn(freeware) as you can select the layer break point. You dont want a brief pause in the middle of a fast moving scene.
    Pio burner, Verb media, ImgBurn software, you wont be disappointed.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the suggestion all chk out the pioneer...
    layer break point?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Trident5
    thanks for the suggestion all chk out the pioneer...
    layer break point?
    Will be handled by Imgburn!
    Quote Quote