VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys (and especially the makers of MPC HC, keep up the good work! :thanks, I m using the MPC HC edition for some time now and have to say that I am very pleased with it. Especially because of the Anti-tearing option! It resolved all of my issues I had before.

Still I have some questions about some general options that can be selected in the MPC HC edition. So I hope you guys here can clarify them so I know what they do/what they are for.

In the Options menu of MPC there are the following things I would like to know what they are for. In the Output menu:
    - Surface: regular, 2D and 3D. Best to pick?
    - Resizer: Nearest Neighbor, Bilinear, Bilinear (PS 2.0), Bicubic A=-0.60 (PS 2.0), Bicubic A=-0.75 (PS 2.0), Bicubic A=-1.00 (PS 2.0)
    - YUV mixing: check or uncheck?+what is it for?
    - Lock back-buffer: check or uncheck?+what is it for?

Then there is the Audio Switcher
    - Enable build-in audio switcher: check or uncheck?+what is it for?

Thanks for all help and sorry for my bad English.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no ideas anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  3. This:

http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60

is about KMplayer but it will probably answer most of your questions. Basically, use whatever works.

Surface: regular, 2D and 3D: determines the VMR mechanism used to handle video on the graphics card. Use whatever works and looks best.

Resizer: different resizing algorithms used to scale the video (if necessary). Least sharp to most sharp in your list.

YUV mixing: I believe this is used to overlay subtitles etc. Allows mixing in YUV space in addition to RGB space. Use what works.

Lock back-buffer: displaying video (or 3d games, etc) usually uses multiple buffers. One is being displayed on the screen -- the front buffer. Another is being built/updated (video decoded, 3d world being drawn) in a non-visible section of memory -- the back buffer. When the new frame is ready for display the back and front buffers are swapped. Use whatever works.

The audio switcher setting lets you choose between MPCHC's built in audio switcher (used to select between multiple audio streams -- say the regular movie audio vs the director commentary audio) and an external audio switcher. Use whatever works.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks! That clarifies some things for me.

But I would like to know how to NOT use resize function. Is that neirest neighbor?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by THX-UltraII
    thanks! That clarifies some things for me.

But I would like to know how to NOT use resize function. Is that neirest neighbor?
    If you don't resize the window, it won't use the resize function.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by THX-UltraII
    The only way to do that is to disable the "Keep Aspect Ratio" setting and always run in a window at the Zoom 100 percent setting. Nearest Neighbor is the crudest of resizing algorithms.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by THX-UltraII
    The only way to do that is to disable the "Keep Aspect Ratio" setting and always run in a window at the Zoom 100 percent setting. Nearest Neighbor is the crudest of resizing algorithms.
    thanks, where can I disable the keep aspect ratio checkbox?
    Quote Quote  
  8. You'd rather see a non-scaled image than the correct aspect ratio? Right click on a video while playing, disable Video Frame -> Keep Aspect Ratio.
    Quote Quote