VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i have a ip camera that i want to put in my website. There is some problems concerning the ISP. i dont have a real ip address, and they blocked port 80, and i cannot view the ip camera over the internet. I though about using streaming to upload the video from the camera directly to the web server that is hosting my website. but i need some help on how to do it and how to embed it in my website. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use something like www.ustream.com and you can embed it on your site.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't think that will work. His ISP has blocked outbound port 80 (HTTP) and his IP camera outputs on port 80.

My guess is the camera is normally accessed via a web page. If you look at the code for that page (eg, View -> Page Source) you should see the mechanism that's used to display the video from the camera. It might be as simple as copying that code to your web site. I would also check to see if the camera already supports a different port number. And be sure to set up port forwarding on your router.

http://www.networkwebcams.com/ip-camera-learning-center/2010/02/16/howto-ip-camera-remote-access/
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Dec 2010 at 11:51.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, but even the code in the camera's webpage requires the ip address of the camera or ipaddress and port number, and the problem is
    that i dont have and real ip address. If anyone knows how to solve this problem without depending on a real ip address and port forwording i
    would really appretiate it. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You will have to use port forwarding in your router under any circumstance -- LAN addresses aren't made available on the WAN. Say your IP camera is at 192.168.1.111 on the LAN, the video stream is accessed via port 5555, and your router's IP address is 123.45.67.89. You set the router to forward all port 5555 requests to 192.168.1.111. Then at your web page you change the code to get the video from 123.45.67.89:5555 instead of 192.168.1.111:5555.

If your ISP doesn't give you a static IP address you'll have to update the web page every time your IP address changes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is not that i dont have a static ip address on the router or i would have solved it with DDNS but the problem is that the router have a virtual ip address, which means it cannot be used on the internet. it is not a real ip address.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    the problem is that the router have a virtual ip address
    I don't know what that means.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Virtual ip address on the internet is something used to connect all computers in the LAN using only one ip address and ports to determine the computer in the LAN when receiving from outside. which means all the computers in the network are shown on the internet with the same ip address. that means that you cannot reach the internal computers with the ip address. i know these stuff because i'm a fresh graduate but i dont have experience with ip cameras or video streaming. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Virtual ip address on the internet is something used to connect all computers in the LAN using only one ip address and ports to determine the computer in the LAN when receiving from outside. which means all the computers in the network are shown on the internet with the same ip address. that means that you cannot reach the internal computers with the ip address. i know these stuff because i'm a fresh graduate but i dont have experience with ip cameras or video streaming. thanks
    That's called NAT -- network address translation. And port forwarding is the way that is handled at the router -- exactly what I describe earlier.

The way I understand virtual IP address is the opposite of what you are describing. It's making several WAN IP address map to one LAN IP address. I don't see how that applies to your situation.
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd Dec 2010 at 18:25.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I think what he's saying is that his router is not getting an external IP address from his ISP. I've seen that a lot on residential accounts.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  11. So his router is acting as a hub or switch, and each computer on his LAN gets an WAN IP address, not a LAN address? I would get a standalone router and put all the computers and camera behind that. That also acts as a firewall between the LAN and WAN so it's much safer. The down side is that he might get reduced throughput with only a single WAN connection.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    So his router is acting as a hub or switch, and each computer on his LAN gets an WAN IP address, not a LAN address? I would get a standalone router and put all the computers and camera behind that. That also acts as a firewall between the LAN and WAN so it's much safer. The down side is that he might get reduced throughput with only a single WAN connection.
    No, that's not what I'm saying. Ignore his use of the term VirtualIP, (my understanding of that term is the same as yours). I'm saying that he may be getting something in the 192.168 range, (possibly with a very narrow subnet mask), from his ISP. So from the internet's perspective he has an internal IP address on the WAN side of his router, so it can't be reached. The ISP then shares a single external IP address across several customers. You can probably get an external address from the ISP, but it usually costs more.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    About what gadgetguy said, i dont really know how it works but its not NAT. I might have explained it in a wrong way but it is still the fact that it cannot be reached from outside. and what gadgetguy said about getting an external ip address, i can get one but it costs alot and i cannot get one for sure, since they only give it for certain purposes.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Without an external IP address and port forwarding WAN clients can't request connections to the computers on your LAN. You'll need to find an application to run on your server and LAN computer that supports client side push. The client (your local computer) requests a service port on the server then pushes the video to the server via that port. The server then serves that video to other clients.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks but i need to stream directly from the ip camera or i would have used a web cam instead. i dont want to use any other computer in the streaming process between the ip camera and the server. i guess there is no other way but to request a real ip address from my ISP.
    Quote Quote  
  16. CamStreamer connects your Axis IP camera to YouTube or other RTMP streaming services. Everything is running inside the camera. No need for computer or public IP address. The camera initiates TCP/RTMP connection to YouTube servers. See http://camstreamer.com
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search PM
    In my opinion blocking ports by ISPs (except for things like Dos protection) should be made illegal by extending the "Network Neutrality and Internet Censorship" initiative.

But are you sure the ISP actually blocks the port, e.g. did you have it confirmed?

Not having a fixed ip address can be (partly) circumvented by using dynamic IP.

Quote Quote