VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    NOTE: I'm not asking for at solution to at specific problem, -I'm just curious.

I know it is possible to store metadata in some videocontainers and I'm aware of Meta-X and other programs.

But why is it so extremely rare to use the metadata?
    Why is the common approach to use a .nfo file instead?
    Quote Quote  
  2. .NFO files are usually used to describe downloadable content. So you can get details about the video to decide whether you want to download it. Nobody wants to bother adding metadata to each video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I was thinking of .nfo file as in XBMC: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFO_files

You really want metadata if you have a mediacenter.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by barnonline View Post
    I was thinking of .nfo file as in XBMC: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFO_files
    And the origin of those NFO files is from usenet posting.

Originally Posted by barnonline View Post
    You really want metadata if you have a mediacenter.
    I have several thousand media files organized properly on my NAS so I don't really need metadata.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Ok, but I really like to have the option in my mediacenter (mediaportal) to i.e. see/select all thriller movies from 1990 to 2000 and ordered by imdb rating.

And I can, because I have the metadata..
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, I know it's useful for that of searching. I guess I just don't have much call for that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by barnonline View Post
    NOTE: I'm not asking for at solution to at specific problem, -I'm just curious.

I know it is possible to store metadata in some videocontainers and I'm aware of Meta-X and other programs.

But why is it so extremely rare to use the metadata?
    Why is the common approach to use a .nfo file instead?
    Not all video and audio containers support metadata. Even for those that do there may be no set formal standard for how to use it. This means anything can be added as metadata, not necessarily the information that people like yourself want, plus there may be no easy way to identify what information is present without reading it yourself.
    Quote Quote