VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need your help. I have one vcd that I can't seem to find any file on it. Even the dat file. So I can't play it at all on my computer. No, the vcd is not scratch or any other thing that might have harm it from playing. The cd-rom detected it but there is nothing in the cd so-to-say.
    However, I can play it on my stand alone vcd player!!! What's wrong?

I have other vcds that worked with the computer but this one is the one that I can't play it at all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. help me anyone
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have this same problem. I create VCD/SVCD, and can play the files perfectly from the HD, but when I burn in Nero, they only play on a stand-alone.

Please help!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. that's not my problem. My problem is that my computer can't see any files on that vcd. However, on the other vcd it could see the file.
    So help me.
    I think I need to make my computer reconize the format of the files, I think. But still, I don't know what the format are since I can't even see the files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. So what package did you use to burn the disks? (nero/cdrwin/eazycd/etc). I have had the same problem, I have burned disks, and could not then see files on there, but they have played in a standalone player.

I don't think you have to worry about detecting the format of the files, if you make a standard VCD, the files should be seen in windows explorer.

Did you finalise the disk, i.e. no further writing possible? You will have to let us know what settings you used, and in what program.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Oh the vcd is a retail cd. It's not burn or anything.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Did you use overburn? I once overburned a disk that played perfectly on my Pioneer, but my PC would'nt recognise it....
    Quote Quote  
  8. like I said before, this is a manufactured vcd, it's retail thus it's not burnt or over burnt
    Quote Quote  
  9. like I said before, this is a manufactured vcd, it's retail thus it's not burnt or over burnt
    Quote Quote  
  10. I guess no one knows the answer
    Quote Quote  
  11. Going out on a limb...are you able to see the directory structure at least? If you are, maybe the actual files are deemed to be hidden.

Verify under Windows Explorer/View/Folder Options.../View/Files and Folders/Hidden Files, check off "Show all files" (this is on a Win98 machine).

Hope this was of some help.
    Quote Quote  
  12. that's no help but thanks for the effort.
    I can't see anything on that cd and I mean anything.
    However when I check to see how my space has it taken up, it said only 3mb.
    Yet when I use the stand-along vcd player on my home system, it works.
    I think the cd isn't in vcd format, it's in cvd, I think.
    What's cvd?
    and where can I find a program that plays it?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Get I-Video CD Player to watch vcd's on computer,it's free and it's in "Tools".
    Quote Quote  
  14. VCDs work in stand-alone players because they directly read info at predefined sectors on the CD (which is why it is so important to author VCDs or SVCDs with a program that knows what it is doing).

The ISO filesystem on a VCD is mainly for the benefit for PC playback. A VCD without an ISO filesystem could probably playback just fine on a stand-alone player if all the other stuff was authored correctly.

This I assume was how your VCD was authored. BTW, it is definitely still VCD. CVD is one of the precursors/competitors to SVCD.

If you want to play it on your PC, try ripping a CUE/BIN image of the VCD onto your HDD. Then use VCDXRIP (a tool in VCDImager) on it to extract everything. You can use VCD Easy as a GUI to VCDXRIP.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote