VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Hi, There!

I want to know how to install commnad line X264 because I downloaded it and I couldn't install it. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    CLI applications are not installers.

You just put them in a folder "covered" by the environment-variable named PATH,
    so that you can call them under any directory.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 22nd Jun 2014 at 17:39. Reason: grammar : - /
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You don't install it,use it with command lines to the directory it is in already.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks, I'll try.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sorry for disturbing you again, but I couldn't manage to operate command line x264, Is there is any tutorial about how to fix it?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Put it in a 'path' directory so that CMD can find it wherever it is, rename it to x264.exe then type

Code:
    x264.exe --fullhelp
    if you 'd prefer it in a file add

Code:
     >x264.txt
    to the end of the command.
    or look at this:
    http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Type your command line in notepad and save it as a batch file. Then double click the .bat and the video will encode.

This method is useful if you plan to encode more than one video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Command line does use less resources and can leave little or no imprint but x264 is already a resource-hogging program so I see little point in actually using it that way in windoze. So if you'd rather not tangle with the command line, there are some GUIs for x264 where x264 is already included and gets installed after the fact. I use Simple x264 Launcher because it is one of the more straightforward, stable, easy to use of the many out there. It also regularly gets updated, so the latest stable x264/x265 is d/l & installed without fuss.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks, buddies ")
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by turk690 View Post
    Command line does use less resources and can leave little or no imprint but x264 is already a resource-hogging program so I see little point in actually using it that way in windoze.
    I somewhat agree, someone should create a GUI for libx264, instead of GUIs for x264.exe
    Quote Quote  
  11. what simple command line does is that it sets default values and nothing is set behind scenes (or tweaking in GUI needed, sometimes in vain) that can throw off user and nobody has a problem to play encoded video, .... ,the objective should be to make things easy ...
    Quote Quote  
  12. I somewhat agree, someone should create a GUI for libx264, instead of GUIs for x264.exe
    Any reason for this? I see no gain in using libx264 directly.
    (btw. iirc. Avidemux uses libx264 directly)
    Quote Quote  
  13. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    I somewhat agree, someone should create a GUI for libx264, instead of GUIs for x264.exe
    Any reason for this?
    Yes, the point is show that many programmers are not as good as they think

Just as an example: john33 created GUIs for libsamplerate and libvorbis

In the case of eac3to, it's closed-source stuff, so a GUI for the .exe is a valid option. However x264 is open-source, and different from ffmpeg or Mencoder, its options are not "infinite"
    Quote Quote  
  14. but x264 command line uses libx264 library...so, it's useless what you said.
    Last edited by Sergio29; 24th Jun 2014 at 05:15.
    Quote Quote  
  15. GUIs which use x264 through the library that pop into mind: Avidemux, TmpgEnc, handbrake, vlc, mythtv, mpv, OpenShot,....
    Quote Quote  
  16. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sergio29 View Post
    but x264 command line uses libx264 library...so, it's useless what you said.
    Go say that to the people who create GUIs for x264.exe, ffmpeg.exe, Mplayer.exe, etc.

And be welcome to my Ignore List
    Quote Quote  
  17. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    GUIs which use x264 through the library that pop into mind: Avidemux, TmpgEnc, handbrake, vlc, mythtv, mpv, OpenShot,....
    Yes, but NONE OF THEM is dedicated to libx264 only

P.S.: I'd better stop posting, since too many people apparently just love to pretend they misunderstand everything I say -.-
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yes, but NONE OF THEM is dedicated to libx264 only
    Problem with that is that unless you write your own code to handle decoding, muxing, filtering, etc. you could only support raw yv12 input.
    So I don't see any one to write everything new just for the fun of it, but now at least I understand what you are looking for.
    -> happy searching
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by Sergio29 View Post
    but x264 command line uses libx264 library...so, it's useless what you said.
    Go say that to the people who create GUIs for x264.exe, ffmpeg.exe, Mplayer.exe, etc.
    why ? are you sure that such people that create GUIs for these tools, need really the libx264 ?

Do you know that FFmpeg is compiled within the libx264 library, most of the time, in order to access to this compressor ?

Do you know that Mplayer doesn't use the libx264 library but the libavcodec/libavformat to decode AVC streams ?

Obviously, YOU DONT KNOW what is a (static/dynamic) library, in this case...and YOU DON'T KNOW what it does exactly.

Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    And be welcome to my Ignore List
    Thanks...I appreciate.

But, the most issue here is that your words may introduce confusions for other people.
    Quote Quote  
  20. @Sergio29:
    Do you know that Mplayer doesn't use the libx264 library but the libavcodec/libavformat to decode AVC streams ?
    Yes, but mencoder which is part of the MPlayer repository uses libx264 for x264 encoding support either directly or by including ffmpeg libaries which then includes libx264.

El Heggunte was asking for a gui which is only* a gui for libx264, to have something that, like the vanilla x264 cli, only* uses the libx264.
    Personally I see no value in such a gui since I normally do not have raw video as source and libx264 itself can only handle raw video.
    The mentioning of mencoder/ffmpeg/eac3to just confused everyone, since they are already cli for multiple libraries and thus are a bad example for tools which are guis for single* libraries.

@El Heggunte: btw. which GUI from john33 are you speaking of which only uses libvorbis and which gui uses only libsox? (I know of next to no gui which only uses a single* library.)

* always ignoring necessary runtime libraries
    Last edited by Selur; 26th Jun 2014 at 02:12.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!