VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys... well, for Blu-Ray playback, I have a Ps3 and my PC, both plugged to a SmartTV, HDMI connections.

Well, using the PS3 seems the most straightforward method. But I don't like it, as it doesn't allow me to choose the aspect ratio, and such...

So my initial idea was to play it on the PC. So far I've tried 2 methods: The first was getting that experimental library for VLC Media Player (method from 2012, but what the heck...) available here:

http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/

Doesn't work, tried using both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of VLC, always get the same error messages:

"Blu-ray error:
    This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for BD+ decoding, and your system does not have it.
    Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details."

Got sick of trying to make it work, so went and tried a Trial version of CyberLink PowerDVD 14. It works, but it still doesn't allow me to stretch the image the way I want it. My TV is a 46" Samsung and I'm experimenting with 2 blu-rays ATM:

- "Family Guy: Something Something Something Dark Side [Blu-ray]"
    - "Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) [Blu-ray]"

The Family Guy one has the aspect ratio with the vertical "black bars" (to the left and right sides of the screen). Star Wars is the opposite (horizontal black bars, top and bottom of the screen). I don't mind streching the image, as long as it takes the whole screen (no black bars at all), but PowerDVD doesn't give me such option, also.

I'm still left to try the MakeMKV option and stream it through VLC, although I'm not sure if it'll work... Again, making it work (playing the blu-ray) is not really the main issue, the main issue is eliminating the "black bars", and make the movie fill up the whole screen...

Any help would be appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Install ums and stream it to your ps3,it will play the videos in the proper size.As to black bars there are meant to be there,cropping them out loses some of your picture.

Also most newer lcd tvs let your stretch the movie.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the advantage of using the PS3 would be the ability to also use the ps3 remote controller (no remote on the PC). But if I can't "eliminate" the black bars, then it's no good... I mean, I have some .mkv ripped files that I can stretch using VLC, but I don't wanna rip all my Blu-Ray discs, as it takes time and a lot of space on the hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are a number of ways it can be done, including using the stretch capability in your SmartTV, but the crux of the matter is: that's not how it was intended to be seen.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Potplayer with your PC connected hdmi to your hdtv is your best free option.. you wont have all the extra and menus but the main movie will play in high quality. . ... your 2nd option is Makemkv, it will create mkv that can also be played with potplayer ( forget VLC) .

you can also go directly into the folder of your blu-ray: X:\BDMV\STREAM and open with potplayer the largest m2ts file.
    Last edited by imhh1; 28th Aug 2014 at 18:52.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    There are a number of ways it can be done, including using the stretch capability in your SmartTV, but the crux of the matter is: that's not how it was intended to be seen.

Scott
    The stretch capabilities of my TV (Menu/Picture/Picture Size) are all "greyed out": Zoom 1, Zoom 2, Wide Fit, Screen Fit and Smart View 1... The only available options are 16:9 and 4:3... With all due respect Scott, I don't care how it was "intended to be seen". I want to see it, as I see fit

Originally Posted by imhh1 View Post
    Potplayer with your PC connected hdmi to your hdtv is your best free option.. you wont have all the extra and menus but the main movie will play in high quality. . ... your 2nd option is Makemkv, it will create mkv that can also be played with potplayer ( forget VLC) .

you can also go directly into the folder of your blu-ray: X:\BDMV\STREAM and open with potplayer the largest m2ts file.
    Yeah, I will try potplayer, thanks... As I said, I don't wanna create an .mkv file, as it takes a lot of space on thr HD (I have 2 movies ripped to .mkv, and each files is about 10GB). If potplayer doesn't work, I'll try MameMKV with the streacm option and VLC.

Will report back, thanks again guys...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The Family Guy one has the aspect ratio with the vertical "black bars" (to the left and right sides of the screen). Star Wars is the opposite (horizontal black bars, top and bottom of the screen). I don't mind streching the image, as long as it takes the whole screen (no black bars at all)
    So you like to watch your videos distorted ?!?!?!

LMAO!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The op wants to stretch it so it's still in proportion,just to get rid of the black bars and cut out a lot of the side view which to me isn't worth losing,maybe i can make custom curtains like they have in theaters for different ratio films for hdtvs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't mind streching the image,
    Stretching is not the same as "zooming", stretching would distort the video,

Name:  4x3-letter.png
Views: 1957
Size:  106.4 KB

Name:  4x3-letter-stretched.png
Views: 1754
Size:  157.0 KB

It's like going into a movie theater and complaining that the top and bottom of the movie is missing because the screen is wider than it is tall!!
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Man, I had no idea they allowed 15 year olds in this forum...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I had no idea blind people could post on forums or see black bars on their TV's ?!?!?!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, well... You're also an ILLITERATE kid, as you might have missed (but you quoted) when I wrote "I DON'T F***IN' MIND STRETCHING THE IMAGE..." So if you can't help it, just keep it to yourself, freakin' troll...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by rotchild View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Scott
    The stretch capabilities of my TV (Menu/Picture/Picture Size) are all "greyed out": Zoom 1, Zoom 2, Wide Fit, Screen Fit and Smart View 1... The only available options are 16:9 and 4:3... With all due respect Scott, I don't care how it was "intended to be seen". I want to see it, as I see fit ...
    If those capabilities on your TV are greyed out, it is quite unfortunate you chose the brand/model you did, as MOST TV models will still allow adjustment. But have you not tried the 4:3 option?

Since Blu-ray (with HD titles) is ALWAYS 16:9 total image DAR (including the black bars), and you are playing it to a 16:9 display, it sees no reason to need a change.

So...if you wanted to see a show flipped, rotated or inverted (white goes black), or all shades of green, you are certainly at liberty to watch it that way, too. But you shouldn't expect us to be HELPING you to distort/corrupt your viewing experience, either.

BTW, there really wasn't ANY "all due respect" in there, was there? Certainly not for my peer producer/director/engineer/artists who worked hard to get you that great movie experience you want to flippantly trample.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. What about ripping the disc? If you rip the disc, you may use the crop function to remove the black-bars.
    Real media really matters. Just get BD DVD discs and say NO to online stream media.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnsonchang View Post
    What about ripping the disc? If you rip the disc, you may use the crop function to remove the black-bars.
    It's not really cropping... By cropping I'll maintain the aspect ratio, but will lose a big portion of the image (sides). I don't want that...
    I want to just eliminate the letterbox borders (don't lose any portions of the movie) hence, stretching (losing the original aspect ratio... I REALLY don't mind that).

Technically is going from a 2.4:1 Blu-Ray default to a 1.78:1

I've no idea if MakeMKV let me do that. If there are any other free programs that allow such, I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Watch out for that FUNGUS over there in Brazil!!!
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You rather watch a movie with stretched tall people to avoid black borders?Re-encode with uncropmkv and set the ratio so it fills the screen.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Install a background decrypter like dvdfab passkey or anydvd and you can play the bd folder directly with vlc or potplayer or mpchc.

And please try and behave. rotchild knows that the image is stretched.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rotchild View Post
    Originally Posted by johnsonchang View Post
    What about ripping the disc? If you rip the disc, you may use the crop function to remove the black-bars.
    It's not really cropping... By cropping I'll maintain the aspect ratio, but will lose a big portion of the image (sides). I don't want that...
    I want to just eliminate the letterbox borders (don't lose any portions of the movie) hence, stretching (losing the original aspect ratio... I REALLY don't mind that).

Technically is going from a 2.4:1 Blu-Ray default to a 1.78:1

I've no idea if MakeMKV let me do that. If there are any other free programs that allow such, I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks again
    Unfortunately, there are people who will rip you to shreds if you tell them that you want to stretch your video to fill up the entire screen. Honestly I have no idea why people get so emotional about this.

I would not convert the blurays to files with 1.77 aspect ratio. I would convert your blu-rays to mp4 files with the native aspect ratio and the black bars in place. Then, when you get ready to play them back, let your computer stretch the image to your liking.

My recommendation to you would be for you to use MakeMKV(free) and let it create an output file for you with the same original aspect ratio.

Your original output file will be really large. In the neighborhood of 20 to 25 gig. You can use ripbot(free) to convert this to mp4 and also to shrink the file size to something smaller. You can play around with the output file sizes to make sure that you are getting the quality that you want. In my personal opinion, the 4 gig to 6 gig range looks decent. You can go larger if you want better quality. Try a few different output file sizes to see what you like.

After you get the smaller file, use MPC-HC(free) to play it back and stream it to your TV. MPC-HC will easily allow you to play the videos without the black bars. The setting you want is "EVR custom presenter." This mode will allow you to go into the "video frame" and set it to "stretch to window."

It is your time and money, so ignore the haters do what makes you happy.

TC
    Last edited by True Colors; 8th Sep 2014 at 21:09.
    My Dell PC system info.....3.4 Ghz Quad Core i7 processor....... 12 gigs of ram DDR3...... Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.......video card Nvidia GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!