VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been encoding my videos in AC3 so they can be played back on the PS3, but windows media player cannot play the audio, just the video.

I have installed the latest AC3filter but it didn't fix/do anything! I just want to add the AC3 codec for windows media player and Videostudio pro x3.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FFDShow

Or user another player - VLC, The KM Player, MPC HC
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks but I already have FFDshow filter, and I do use VLC to playback videos and works great, but I need the OS and WMP to decode the AC3, so other programs (like Videostudio Pro X3) can also decode AC3.

I have the k-lite codec pack installed, FFDshow, Avisynth, and AC3filter but still it's not working as it should. Thanks, more help needed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK, only the standalone MP4 splitter from the MPC-HC project and the latest Haali Media Splitter support AC-3 in the MP4 container.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I forgot to post I use the Haali Media Splitter as well :/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FFDShow should enable AC3 in WMP, however with k-lite on your system, all bets are off.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HDJourney View Post
    I have been encoding my videos in AC3 so they can be played back on the PS3, but windows media player cannot play the audio, just the video.

I have installed the latest AC3filter but it didn't fix/do anything! I just want to add the AC3 codec for windows media player and Videostudio pro x3.
    The PS3 only supports AAC audio within the MP4 container. Some home theater receivers can handle 5.1 AAC audio, but many do not.
    If you want AC3 5.1 audio, you're better off using the M2TS container.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks, I have since been encoding in AAC 5.1, solved all problems, I highly recommend it over AC3!
    Quote Quote