VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am having problems making direct copies of dvd's. I have Instant copy version 7 and use dvddecrypter. I am making copies of ones that have already been changed from dvd9 to dvd5 even though it is not recommended. I have done it before with no problems at all. I get an error message that says "Error occurred writing track 1 at position xxx." I found some info on pinaclesys's website and tried their suggestions, but they did not help. I emailed them and have not heard anything from them. I updated my firmware for dvd burner and also updated my instant copy. I was wondering if I should upgrade to Instant copy 8 or change to another software. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    camo,

The answer is rather straightforward... Not only is IC7 it not recommended, its useless for this purpose.

If you're already at DVD5, you only need DVDDECRYPTER. Simply read in ISO mode and use DVDDECRYPTER to write in ISO mode.

Enough said...
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    neo is right, if it's already a DVD5 then you don't need IC7.

If your DVD is in a VIDEO_TS folder, then to create an image file for Decrypter to burn as an ISO, you need to download IMGtools from either here or doom9.net, just drop your VIDEO_TS folder in the root directory of a drive so C:\VIDEO_TS and the rest of IMGtools is pretty self explanitory in the interface.

Side note - "instant copy direct copy"...don't do it. It seems good in theory but isn't. I never burn with pinnacle.

Do not upgrade to IC8, my friend has it and I checked it out, it sucks in my opinion. I like IC7 much better. IC8 has many settings that are redundant and confusing or unnecessary. In my opinion I think IC8 is a down grade from IC7 and the speed difference is not noticable. Just my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I need to copy one of my backups, I just use the disc-to-disc copy option of RecordNow. I have both a DVD burner and a DVD-ROM drive. Makes it easy. Any ol' disc-to-disc copy program that works with DVD's should work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the input. I have tried all of these and I still get an error in both recordnow and dvddecrypter. It will start burning in recordnow but will stop before it is halfway done. It won't even read it in dvddecrypter. Could there be something wrong with my dvd drive reading the disc? I checked for a firmware update for it, but there are none listed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try higher quality media and see if that helps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Decrypter won't even read it??? Hmmmm, I've never been there. Sometimes Decrypter won't read it right away if I put in the disc and then start Decrypter too quickly. But if I wait until the DVD drive is done gathering information and start Decrypter it reads just fine.

Incidently, I didn't read your post very well. If you are backing up DVD5's then you can use Decrypter -> mode > ISO > read then mode > ISO > write

But if Decrypter won't read them then...I don't know...I would try cussing and throwing stuff :P :P
    Quote Quote