VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    [SOLVED] - 2012-11-14 Wed

this is a bit strange to ask, and silly, but i will ask anyway..

* home pc is windows xp home
    * i'm using opera--i'm not looking for upgrade it or use firefox or chrome or IE 8/9, not looking install plugins
    * this is strickly something i was came across while googling for help on something else
    * i am more or less curious

so, i was viewing a video at a non-youtube website (beatboxing flute and cello) and liked it. i thought i would look real quickly in operas caotic cache system, and found the folder where it is. however, it is in several pieces. sometimes, the video is one complete piece while other times i see them in muliple pieces. i don't understand why the two features (if anyone cares to explain, that would be great) ok, so long story short, i have several files now, all are 1,740KB size:

opr03FFX.tmp - 1,740kb
    opr03FFW.tmp - 1,740kb
    opr03FFV.tmp - 1,740kb
    opr03FFU.tmp - 1,740kb
    opr03FFY.tmp - 0,515kb
    opr03FFZ.tmp - 0,008kb

i believe the above are all the files related to that youtube clip i just saw.

cmd copy 1+2+3+4+5+6 new_video.flv did not work.

is there something i'm missing ?

maybe open each file and see if there is something similar to tie each file together ?

from time to time i see these and ignore them and move on. but now i want to settle this and maybe create a simple (select all/drag/drop/join) tool. i'm sure there are plugins and whatnot but i don't feel like adding that. i just want this for knowlege, thank you in adance for any leads.
    Last edited by vhelp; 13th Nov 2012 at 23:16.
    Quote Quote  
  2. First thing you should do is copy one of those tmp files, rename it to FLV and try to play it. Does it play? Yes, great, then just join them with some editing software. Otherwise, you need to open the files and check for a header and whether it even is an FLV. In any case, a simple DOS concatenate command is not a good way to join video files, you need to use an editor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i was reading around the "streaming" howto forums via google searches and came across a topic about yt delivering 2mb sizes, and that reminded me on *this* topic i started some time ago. so, i went to investigate to see if similar to mine. anyway. i played with the yt links and used the one the other streaming article mentined..link is below.

so, long story short, i believe that they (our browsers) are manipluating the header(s) of the these files on purpose. it seems that every browser upgrade leads to a new form of back-end manipulation of streaming content for certain ranking website, cough-yt-cough, masked as security and other patches or upgrades. probably to confuse us from decoding or restoring (or de-patching) back the correct sequence of what they wring into the segments create and dumped into opera's cache folders.

some yt clips will either dump completely as one file or in small 2mb sized segments. so far i don't know what the tip-off is yet as to those the dump completely while others go through the segment wringer.

anyway, here is an (opera browser required) example of a yt clip (00:28 sec) that dumps into three small segments. but the segments are purposely corrupted so that you can not restore them back as one single file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReP9pN5jJDY
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

bingo! well what do you know...my first yt re-patcher i threw together in a couple of minutes of coding and it worked successfully in the first run!

and now to find a few new YT links that dump longer than 2 segments..

EDIT: found a longer youtube example, and the yt repatcher was successful on that as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvsI6gBhNSs
    Last edited by vhelp; 13th Nov 2012 at 23:19.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post

anyway, here is an (opera browser required) example of a yt clip (00:28 sec) that dumps into three small segments. but the segments are purposely corrupted so that you can not restore them back as one single file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReP9pN5jJDY
    The link leads to a 3minutes 17 seconds video, which downloads fine with videodownloadhelper of firefox.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post

and now to find a few new YT links that dump longer than 2 segments..

EDIT: found a longer youtube example, and the yt repatcher was successful on that as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvsI6gBhNSs
    Again downloadable simply with videodownloadhelper extension of firefox.
    Last edited by mgh; 14th Nov 2012 at 07:52.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sounds like a lot of work
    i use firefox and there is a download link right on the you tube webpage
    i click the link choose the file quality i want from the list and download the file directly
    no cache, no relinking, no worries
    Quote Quote