VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Magix Movie Edit Pro 2016 and have tried burning a Blu-Ray and I'm not having much luck. Using prior editions of Movie Edit Pro, I didn't have issues with burning DVDs so I thought Blu-Ray discs wouldn't be all that different. Especially since I know just enough to get by

The last time I tried burning a disc, Movie Edit Pro 2016 says the burn was successful. But when I put it in my Sony BDP-3500, nothing happens. It recognizes the disc as a BD-R BDMV and that's it. I've read that Imgburn is a good program for burning discs. So I pulled up the folders that Movie Edit Pro 2016 created and tried to put them on a BD-R. Same result which is to say nothing happened.

I put in a blank BD-R in the player just to make sure and it recognized that as being unformatted. So when it shows BD-R BDMV it's at least recognizing something has happened to the disc.

I have more than one computer so I went with an external burner. In this case a Samsung SE-506CB/RSBD.

So it doesn't work when I try burning with Magix Edit Pro 2016 or with ImgBurn. I have notice ImgBurn has a million different settings that can be changed. Should any be changed or leave them all alone? This is not an MKV file. Only reason I mention that I saw some threads where others had some issues with MKV files and blu-rays. Not the case here.

I had it set for an MPEG-2 file in Movie Edit Pro 2016. Should I have gone with H.264? Or does that even matter?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can't just "burn something to a disc-shaped object" and expect it to end up as a working, DVD or Blu Ray disc. There is prep work involved(by software) for DVD and much prep work involved for Blu Ray.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess magix made a compliant blu-ray bdmv folder? See example: https://www.videohelp.com/hd#filestruct

And you burned the bdmv folder correctly? Imgburn should say that you have a blu-ray/avchd when you are adding the BDMV folder. See http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides/blu-ray-copy/260-burn-blu-ray-avchd-using-imgburn

But I would also try h264. Even though mpeg2 is blu-ray compliant.

You could also try burn it on a DVD-R.

Or your sony might not support homeburned blu-ray bdrs/dvdrs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    You can't just "burn something to a disc-shaped object" and expect it to end up as a working, DVD or Blu Ray disc. There is prep work involved(by software) for DVD and much prep work involved for Blu Ray.
    What?!?! You mean I can't burn Blu-Ray movies onto Frisbees?!?! I had no idea!!! I figured any disc shaped object would work and so Frisbees are disc shaped and so I thought I'd burn Blu-Ray movies onto them which would make it multi-purpose: fun at the beach and then later watching movies on that same "disc-shaped object."

This completely changes everything!!! I don't know what I'm going to do now.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I guess magix made a compliant blu-ray bdmv folder? See example: https://www.videohelp.com/hd#filestruct

And you burned the bdmv folder correctly? Imgburn should say that you have a blu-ray/avchd when you are adding the BDMV folder. See http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides/blu-ray-copy/260-burn-blu-ray-avchd-using-imgburn

But I would also try h264. Even though mpeg2 is blu-ray compliant.

You could also try burn it on a DVD-R.

Or your sony might not support homeburned blu-ray bdrs/dvdrs.
    First off, thank you for actually trying to help me as opposed to being condescending.

According to Amazon's website, my Sony does support BD-R and BD-R DL, among other formats.

I checked the folder that Magix created and compared it with the link you provided and I had 4 out of the 5 folders with matching files. The exception was AUXDATA. My AUXDATA folder is completely empty.

I haven't tried to burn in h.264 yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Steelerfan43240 View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    What?!?! You mean I can't burn Blu-Ray movies onto Frisbees?!?! I had no idea!!! I figured any disc shaped object would work and so Frisbees are disc shaped and so I thought I'd burn Blu-Ray movies onto them which would make it multi-purpose: fun at the beach and then later watching movies on that same "disc-shaped object."

This completely changes everything!!! I don't know what I'm going to do now.
    Well until the next post replying to Baldrick, you never mentioned any kind of folders that resulted from authoring a disc via Magix. Without the key words "authoring" or "folders"....it's easy to make the assumption that you MAY just be burning video files to a disc (as data).
    On the plus side...now you know why I never got into "Blu Ray".....too much like work. Too many variables involved even after a reputable program gives you apparently viable "folders".
    I'll stick to DVD if I NEED to burn something.
    Quote Quote