VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi guys, i have the raw footage of a video on my computer in the form of pictures, which i use avisynth's imagesource to pull into the video in a numerical sequence based on the filenames... the problem is that some of the frames are bad and i had to delete them, so there are gaps in the numbering... when i play the avs script, the missing frames are shown as all black, and when i encode it with virtualdub with the 'preserve empty frames' option off, the black frames are still there

is there a way to have anything other than black frames fill in for the missing frames? or is this an imagesource problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. you can re-number the images so they are sequential
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that would result in a skip in the video, where everything suddenly jumps when the blank frames originally happened
    Quote Quote  
  4. Replace the missing frames with nearby frames.
    Quote Quote  
  5. you can insert a duplicate (before or after frame) , but then you will get a studder /lag

EDIT: Technically you didn't beat me jagabo, same post time!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that would be a more preferable solution

is it possible to fade between 2 pictures across a number of frames using avisynth? or do i have to make the frames manually with an image editing program or something...

on a slightly related note, is there any such thing as a program that scans for numerical filenames and reports any breaks in the sequence, as unlikely as it might sound... i cant remember what numbers those missing frames were
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by carmatic
    is there any such thing as a program that scans for numerical filenames and reports any breaks in the sequence
    VirtualDub will stop when it hits a break.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it didnt for me, tho, because i see black frames where the missing frames are... in fact they are truly black, because if i use something like deflicker, the frames immediately after the black frames are dark, like they faded in from black
    Quote Quote  
  9. Don't use the AviSynth script. Open the first image in VirtualDub. It will stop when it hits a break.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so your saying that if virtualdub detects that there is no file with the name of the current file + 1 , it will stop with some error instead of filling it in with an empty frame?
    Quote Quote  
  11. It will stop at the first missing frame. No error message. You can see how many frames have been opened so you know where the missing frame is. If you have many breaks this will be a pain because you'll have to repeat the process many times.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ahh yes, i understand it now
    Quote Quote