VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    So what do I do now. I'm a newbie to this ripping stuff. I just ripped Hunger Games to my hardrive is around 24gb. What is the best software to used? I would like this exactly like the original BR, 1080p and all the audio codec. Thanks for the help in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you ripped it, you should have an exact copy of the BD. If so, then you are done. You just need a player to display it on your PC screen.
    If you want to compress it, edit it, modify it, then you need other programs.

I use the freeware VSO Media Player for playback. There are a very few commercial players that will also play back your stored BD.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    yep, i want to ripped back to blank blu ray
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Which way did you rip the movie using MakeMKV? Did you get an mkv file out of it, or did you use the Backup function and rip the entire movie, with menus and extras, to the hard drive?

Once its on the hard drive, you've finished with the ripping part. What do you want from this point? If you want a smaller version of this Blu-ray movie, you can re-encode it and compress it to a smaller size. Depending on the format you've got now, you could re-encode it as a smaller Blu-ray video using BD Rebuilder, or you could convert and compress to a smaller mkv or mp4 file using something like Vidcoder or Handbrake.

Either way, you can easily keep the 1080p resolution and original audio, though the DTS HD MA audio found in many Blu-ray movies might not work well in an mp4 container, which is why many converter programs will change this to AAC.

Edit: And I seem to be late to this conversation.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    thanks guys, i'm going to try using the software ya'll recommend. AS long as I keep my 1080p I'll will be happy.

Kerry,

I just ripped a backup to my hardrive.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    24 GB 'might' fit on a single layer BD recordable disc. But I suspect it will be just a bit oversize. Even with that, not likely that you could make an 'exact' copy of a BD and burn it to a recordable BD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For backing up a purchased Blu-ray to a blank 25GB Blu-ray, this has worked for me without fail and is very quick:

1. Use MakeMKV to rip/decrypt to m2ts files (30-45 minutes) Don't worry about making an mkv file. But you should end up with a decrypted "BDMV" file and a "Certificate" file that BD-RB will shrink.
    2. So then use BDRebuilder to shrink the files MakeMKV created to a smaller size, using the "High Speed Option (BD25)" (another 30-45 minutes)
    3. Use Imgburn, using the option "Write files/folders to disc," to burn what BDRebuilder created (another BDMV file and Certificate file) to your blank BD25. (actually there is a check box in BdRebuilder that'll automatically starts ImgBurn 'aburnin' if you want to use that. (another 30 minutes)

That sure beats the 8-16 hour processing when choosing the "High Quality" or "Highest" option under "Encoder Settings" in BD-RB, and I cannot tell any difference in quality when using the "High Speed Option (BD-25+)," as opposed to the "High Quality" or "Highest" options, which take forever. Of course, you have to choose "Target Size BD-25" under "Output Options" in BD-RB for the "High Speed Option (B-25+)" to appear under "Encoder Settings"

And you'll need to download some other programs that BdRebuilder uses, but that's a cinch using the instructions here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716

Note 1: After 30 days, MakeMKV will need to be redownloaded, which is good because you'll have the latest decryption that will likely work on the latest movies. And you may run into a day or so when "Mr. MakeMKV" is arranging for the new version and the MakeMKV website is not available. You'll probably wonder if they've disappeared. But be patient and be grateful, maybe for a day or so. The website, very likely, will appear.

Note 2: I use subtitles a lot, so if you might as well, in BD-RB, under "Settings" and then "Setup", and then under "Subtitle Languages to Keep", choose English (assuming that's what you speak) and then Un-check "Limit to one track for each language". That, again, is for sub-titles. For audio (which is right next to Subtitles), you may want to keep "Limit to one track for each language" checked.

Hope that helps
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just want to add that I had been having problems, particularly at the end of a Blu-ray back up copy, in that the copy will stall, almost at the end of most movies. But, after experimenting, I found a solution. I use Imgburn as the final part of the process of copying a blu-ray, and if under "Device", on the upper right hand part of the ImgBurn window (after you've chosen "Write Files/Folders") change the write speed to 1x. You'll get perfect back ups every time. Well, at least that's been my experience.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    ^LloydS Your problem is probably due to poor quality media, or a mismatch between your burner and the discs. Verbatim, FTI/Falcon (sometimes found under the Smart-Blu brand) and Panasonic are the only brands I recommend.

Watch your burning speeds by the way. You might set it at 1x, but the software can only do what the drive's firmware will allow. Not all Blu-ray burners will be able to go that slow. The slowest supported speed with my Pioneer 207MBK and my Smart-Blu discs is 2x.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply Kerry56!

I've been using Memorex 25GB blanks. My first inclination was to believe that the Memorex blanks were at fault (and perhaps they were), though I read somewhere that folks were having good success with them, which surprised me because I had nothing but trouble with Memorex tape way back when. But everything has burnt beautifully since I switched to 1x. Interesting to note that the 1x speed isn't available on all burners. I'll keep that in mind the next time I need a burner and look for one that can handle 1x.

I do plan on switching to Verbatim next purchase. If I can get close to a buck a disc, I'm happy and I see that that is possible with Verbatim, though there are a heckuva lot of different part numbers when I look at Verbatim blu-ray blanks on Meritline. I saw that in 2011 you were recommending the 97238's. Wonder if that still holds?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Verbatim mid codes have changed over the years a little bit. The ones I used back in 2008-9 don't seem to be available now. But Verbatim always seems to burn well. Their longevity is still up in the air. The only torture test for Blu-ray media that I've seen shows the early Verbatim discs to be not so great on data retention under the stress of that test. But real world results from hundreds of posters at various sites don't seem to back that up. There are very few reports of Verbatim discs deteriorating in the last six years or so. By the way, the Meritline Verbatims with the 97238 code would be fine. Just don't use the LTH Verbatim.

On the other hand, the Ritek discs used by Memorex have an enormous number of complaints. I personally have seen all of my Memorex and my one Ridata disc using the BR2-000 mid code deteriorate over a period of three years for the Memorex discs, and the Ridata went bad in the fourth year. None of the data on these discs was recoverable. And all of the discs tested perfectly well when first burned, and for a couple of years after.

Some people stated that the Ritek BR3-000 mid codes were better, but we're starting to get reports denying that now.

I would suggest looking at the mid codes of your Memorex discs (ImgBurn will work for this), and see if they are Ritek discs. If you intend to use them for archival storage, you should probably reconsider this.

Verbatim, FTI/Falcon and Panasonic are proving to be safe bets. Many people over at MyCE also recommend a very inexpensive disc sold under the Melody brand using the INFOMER mid code. But I have no direct experience with them.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would definitely try some Verbatim BD-Rs. I usually buy the 25 pack, #97457, as it's cheaper per disc. I've burned over a hundred of them as data discs and not one failure. And I've used several different burners. But I always use ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just ordered the Verbatim 97457's off Amazon, the lowest price at the moment according to Invisible Hand, and actually a lower price than what I paid for the Memorex bd's.

So, thanks for the input guys! It's quite amazing what you can learn here. I kinda feel like I've got this back up thing totally figured out now.

1. MakeMKV
    2. BD RB
    3. ImgBurn using Verbatim 97457's.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As regards which blank blu-rays work best, I'd like to report a recent experience when I tried to back up my blu-ray copy of Old School-unrated version. I used MakeMkv to decrypt, then BD Rebuilder in "Movie Only backup" mode, and then ImgBurn to burn the back up. Had no problems until I got to the burning part, at which time I had two failures using Memorex blanks. But upon the advice of Kerry56 and redwudz, I had purchased the Verbatim 97457's from Amazon.

Using the Verbatim's, I got a perfect back up!

Bye, bye Memorex. Hello Verbatim.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!