VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to find a new DVD player that supports Divx and displays long file names in the on screen menu. So far I have tried 3 and they only show 8 characters which is useless. The 3 I've tried are a cheapo Sansung, and 2 cheapo Philips.

The only one I have found so far would be one of the Philips after hacking, (the 5990).

Are there any others? I am limited to either Best Buy, Walmart or online in the NE USA.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Not exactly what you want, but there's still something to be said for it...
    The Western Digitial WDTV and WDTV Live can do this. They play files from USB devices. They are a lot more flexible about Divx playback than DVD players are and will play files that DVD players will choke on.
    Last edited by jman98; 15th Feb 2010 at 13:49. Reason: Left out "and" in final sentence. Sigh.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Bingo!

I have stopped using my DVD player since I got the original WDTV, The new is even better (Faster)
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure the WDTV would be a good option. I have several TVs and Many disks, and it looks like I would lose a lot of playback features. I do like the fact that they play videos the Divx player won't.
    Quote Quote  
  5. philips DVP5992/37b then upgrade to alternative firmware by vb6rocod 3.x or 4.x.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5992156.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	468  

Quote Quote