VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a file 720p.BRRIP-XVID-AC3-VOB that says it's 4.2 GBs yet when I try to burn it to a normal DVD disc it says it's too big - I can't even transfer it to a 16gb memory stick because it's "too big" - can anyone explain what is going on? Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First off double check your numbers but (assuming you are right then)

1. Your 16GB Memory stick is probably formatted FAT32 - which has a file size limit of around 2GB (from memory).
    (for info NTFS is around 16TB). Most are formatted FAT32 for compatibility - nearly all flavours of OS "understand" FAT while NTFS is limited to Windows NT,XP, Vista etc.

2 Burning to DVD - I think the limit is around 1GB - however if you change the file system to UDF then there is no limit and the file will burn to DVD (or at least it should using InageBurn).

Hope this helps
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Um yes, I think I see about the stick but surely if a file is DVD VOB and is 4.2 gigs then it should burn onto a 4.7 Gig disc - then again I'm probably not understanding something really basic.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 4.7 GB as defined by disc manufacturers is 4.7 x 1000 x 1000 x 1000 bytes, or 4,700,000,000 bytes. 4.2 GB as reported by Explorer is 4.2 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes, or ~4,509,715,661 bytes. So the file should fit on a "4.7 GB" disc.

But you have other issues. DVD VOB files cannot exceed 1 GB on a properly authored DVD. So your VOB must be split into 5 files. Or your software may be set to re-encode the files. In which case you have to set an appropriate bitrate so that the reencoded video is less than 4,700,000,000 bytes (including audio).
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Jul 2013 at 10:42.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah now we're seeing some light! So I have a BRRIP AVI file which I converted to a DVD vob file because I thought that would burn to a DVD disc - should I have converted it to something else or do something to the vob file so that it would burn to a single disc. Forgive me if I am obtuse but this is very new to me and I really want to watch this film on my wide screen tv and not on my laptop. Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by melmoth View Post
    I have a file 720p.BRRIP-XVID-AC3-VOB
    Since (DVD)VOB files cannot contain xvid video, you may want to lay off of the torrented crap unless you have more knowledge of video and audio codecs and containers.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by melmoth View Post
    converted to a DVD vob file because I thought that would burn to a DVD disc
    All you need to do is use DVD authoring software that will remux your 4.2 GB VOB into several <1 GB VOB files and add the required support (IFO, BUP) files. A movie DVD is not just a VOB file on a disc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, indeed, but I a have burnt many torrented films successfully - it is only this time which has given me pause. But I really want to see this film - can I convert XVID to something more burnable? many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jagabo - many thanks - trouble is I have a mac and the XVID file is on that and I can't transfer it to my PC (on which I have many authoring tools) because it is too big. But I share search for a mac author now.
    Quote Quote