VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I record car video's in MP4 (H.264) format and the software also generates .SRT files which contain speed, time, lat and lng etc. What I want to do is the following: let's say for example I recorded 1 hour of driving and I want to cut out 2 minutes of something interesting.

I can cut the MP4 with Avidemux without any problem. I can even convert the SRT file to ASS format and re-encode the video with Avidemux to brand in the subtitles for the cut part.

But what I want to do is cut the video by copying the stream, so no processing and cut the srt file along with it. So it is still displaying the speed etc for that cut-scene.

How can I do this? All video editing software I've tried is keen on branding the srt file with video processing, but I don't want to lose quality and spend much time rendering something I already have.

I was able to load the srt with Aegisub and cut along the same points in time and save the file as ASS. So I'm one step further to what I want. Is there some way to make this automatic?
    Last edited by aapje; 24th Jan 2014 at 17:48.
    Quote Quote  
  2. but you should use "save" to save the video instead of "export"
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you first repack your video to MKV using MKVMergeGUI then you can make the cut with AVIMux GUI including the srt subtitle.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as my knew, Total Video Converter can cut video clips together with subtitles . I did it one time. I cut video into several clips with subtitles embedded. I am not sure whehter it is what you want to do.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fjch1997 View Post
    quicktime may do the job
    I doubt it can cut the srt...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since they are separate files, most probably, from your description, that would need separate actions, most probably. If you are looking for a GUI that does it in one shot it would have to be a combination program that analyzes the SRT file since you may wish to cut the video at 00:00:10.000 - 00:10:00.000 and your SRT (text file) has no such entry except on either side of the start time. The program would have to search each start time until it finds and compares unless you have an SRT entry for each frame. Is this the case?

Either way, I've found no program that will allow adding external subtitles BEFORE it allows editing that will actually modify both files and then save both files separately. Not an insurmountable problem but It will have to be custom tailored. Would there be a lot of use for this application?
    Last edited by Budman1; 8th Feb 2014 at 10:54. Reason: unwanted link automatically added
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Originally Posted by fjch1997 View Post
    quicktime may do the job
    I doubt it can cut the srt...
    i used to cut video with QuickTime Pro and it just display the subtitles currently. But I only want the video track back then so don't know if QuickTime Pro can cut subtitles

I highly recommend you to try

By the way you have to convert .srt to ttxt and put it into mp4. It is fast and simple
    Mp4box -add in.srt out.mp4
    Quote Quote