VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi I was just wondering if there is any way of adding a simple text watermark to a video without actually having to re-encode it? (I'm not sure if this is right but I think someone mentioned something about adding the watermark as a subtitle?) and if this is possible does the video have to be a specific format?

If there is no way of adding a watermark text to a video without having to re-encode it then what is the fastest way?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Subtitles can be easily removed so.....the answer is no. You need to re-encode and lose quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I'm confused, I just need the text to appear on the video. Say for example I add a text watermark as a "subtitle", Will I then be able to upload that video file to YouTube so that it displays the text?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by moein View Post
    Say for example I add a text watermark as a "subtitle", Will I then be able to upload that video file to YouTube so that it displays the text?
    If for YouTube you can add the text after the video has been uploaded, either as an SRT subtitle or as an annotation. Annotations appear automatically and can be turned off. Subtitles usually are turned on using the 'CC' button, although some (me, for example) have them set to be on by default.

If, for some reason, you want to force people to always see the text it's best you reencode to 'burn' the text into the video. If you do a decent job, what YouTube does to it with its own reencode will damage it far more than your reencode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Ah thank you manono I understand now. But I do "want to force people to always see the text" so I guess I'm left no choice but to re-encode the video. Any tips on what program to use to add the text and what settings to use etc to choose to maintain a good quality video? (I understand the speed of it comes down to my processor but can anything else be done to speed it up?)

Also would you happen to know anything about being able to Watermark a video as you are recording it live using a HDPVR? For example If I am recording game play footage on a console, as It is recording is there any way to have a text watermark on the recording?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Any decent subtitle program can create a subtitle for your text, so you set the sub up to be on for as long as you like. Many encoding programs can add it to the video. For example, I use Ripbot264 to create MP4s for upload to YouTube. It has a section where you can add in subs of various kinds. Unfortunately, unless you're using AviSynth scripts to hardcode the subs, it won't hardcode them but only embed them. XviD4PSP can do it. Others may have more suggestions.
    Also would you happen to know anything about being able to Watermark...
    Nope, in principle I'm dead set against watermarks, logos, burned-in subs, and anything of the sort being added permanently to a video. I spend my life removing that crap from movies and never bothered to learn how to do it myself (except for videos for YouTube I made before they began to allow selectable subs). Maybe someone else knows.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you very much manono,

I have looked into it a little and I created an SRT file with notepad then opened that file and the video file on Media Player Classic then saved the subtitles as an SSA file. But now when I try to open the video file onto XviD4PSP it doesn't open it correctly, in the preview section is it just black and there is no sound, any ideas why this is happening? Also XviD4PSP keeps on crashing

Thank you.

Edit-
    The video file I was trying to open is MKV but I tried it with an MP4 and it seemed to fix the problem.

For me, my videos will only have one line of subtitles showing the text that I want the viewer to see but does it take longer to encode a video that has one line of subtitles displayed for a longer amount of time or does it make no difference? So is there any difference in the speed of encoding if it was

----------------------------------------
    00:00:00,000 --> 00:10:00,000
    test
    OR
    00:00:00,000 --> 00:05:00,000
    test

Also does a video encode faster by hardcoding subtitles as a "watermark" than it would to render a video by adding a text overlay using a program such as windows movie maker?
    Last edited by moein; 14th Jul 2014 at 20:56.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by moein View Post
    But now when I try to open the video file onto XviD4PSP it doesn't open it correctly, in the preview section is it just black and there is no sound, any ideas why this is happening? Also XviD4PSP keeps on crashing
    Maybe you installed the recent version 7? I don't know as I've never used it but it's said to be not very good. I've never had any problems with the versions 5.

Otherwise someone else will have to suggest a program to burn in your SSA subs.

You tested your SSA subs with the video, and you know they're okay? The good thing about using SSA subs is that you can set the styles - size, font, position, colors, and the like. I use them myself.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!