VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Hi, It might seem like a simple question to google, but some pages suggest about 1989,
    whereby another said that kodak invented it in 1984. ??

I am capturing 60 x Video8 / Hi8 for a client and the first few are dated 1984 - 1986.

There is even a Hi8 metal tape with 1985 footage.

I know that the years are correct because its full of kids birthdays and i can backwards
    calculate their ages to confirm that the footage is 1985 etc.

Anybody know for sure when the first Vid8 and Hi8's came out.

I must admit that that some of the tapes are a little average in quality, which makes me
    think that my client may have recorded on VHS, then backed up to Video 8.

I would ask my client, but he's overseas for 8 weeks and is expecting his 60 tapes to be ready.
    upon his return

cheers
    Scott
    Why is an intelligent man's vote, worth the same as an idiot's vote in a democratic election system.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sony in 1985 released camera's for video8, no others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've got a metal TDK Hi8 90 min tape with April 1984 footage.

Must have been originally recorded on VHS and dubbed across later
    Why is an intelligent man's vote, worth the same as an idiot's vote in a democratic election system.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was back in 1982 by me. I remember it distinctly because I was with Al Gore as he was inventing something called the Internet and I was working on the Video8 format....
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The Kodak Kodavision 8mm camcorder was introduced in 1984 going by this video archive. Sony didn't adopt Video-8 until later, and continued to make BetaMovie camcorders. A friend of mine had an early 8mm camera with footage from 1984 I believe. Keep in mind this applies to NTSC. PAL 8mm camcorders may have been introduced at a later date. Whats interesting is Matsushita (parent of JVC and Panasonic) built the camcorders for Kodak. They later were backers of VHS-C.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I remember In 1984 selling Kodavison and Kyocera (I think Kyocera/Yashica manufactured both) 8mm Video Cameras. They were a nice system for home use compared to the full size VHS camcorders of the day and seemed to deliver better quality over all.
    My God! I remember they seemed so "tiny" by comparison

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote