1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    time to get those 4k tv's folks:

http://legitreviews.com/news/15838/
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Or not.

It's for one game. It will be used only for plays between the 20 and goal line to provide some interesting perspectives on replays. There will be no 4k broadcast.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well since they (the industry) is jettisoning 3d channels I guess they need something new to pitch.

How long until this goes the same way?

Originally Posted by jman98
    There will be no 4k broadcast.
    Yeah what kind of pipeline would you need to view it?

And would it ever be possible to do digital ota 4k? Or is there no bandwidth that could possibly handle the transmission? Edit - sorry I mean frequency - whatever is used to actually transmit the digital ota signals, that stuff.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    we've still got 3d channels on our cable, but they have always been extra money and no one's willing to pay for the limited programming on them.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CBS's 1080 broadcast of football games is horribly pixelated. 4K? Unwatchable. All that money for a 4K set totally wasted.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. It's a money making scheme. 4k tv's are VERY expensive. Buying one means you'll have to wait till they come out with a video capture device that will be able to record the content in 4k, or ULTRA-HD, and that means to record such a thing, you'll have to buy a multi-terabyte HDD. That's more money! Now, they have 8k tv's they're developing in Japan right now. It's gonna be crazy, but pretty awesome. Looking at the screen of an 8K tv will be so clear, it will be like looking out of a window. Stunning clarity! How much would YOU pay to have such a clear tv picture?!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Since it will be unwatchable I might offer 10 cents to see if rumplestiltskin post is really true, which I believe it is.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by snafubaby View Post
    ...{snip}...How much would YOU pay to have such a clear tv picture?!
    I'd rather be part of the real world, not Neo's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    but pretty awesome. Looking at the screen of an 8K tv will be so clear, it will be like looking out of a window.
    That is what people kept saying about 1080i tv, then 4K, since they were wrong both times why should this be any different?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Wow, you guys got this totally wrong. It's higher res, so that it can zoom in closer at full HD quality, like the digital zoom function of a camera. No need for 4k tv. The article talks about a "bullet time" effect, as popularized by The Matrix. I can see why it's important to use digital zoom in this case; there's no time to physically zoom in on the action. So this lets you get a closer view of the hit, for example.
    Quote Quote  
  11. As for 4k in general, there's been 4k gear out for 2 years now. There's a few transition technologies and others coming out to support it. First, there's the mastered in 4k Sony discs; these discs now have x.v color (extended gamut), and there's an extended resolution technology that hides extra resolution in the black bars of 2.35:1 movies for upscaling by new Bluray players. It's completely backwards compatible. Then there's Sony tv's which have some fancy upscale technology. There's also tv's that come with a special 4k player. blurays discs are going to add more layers to carry more data. Also the HEVC/VP9 codecs can store 4k in about the same space. Netflix will be supporting 4k. 4k over the air transmission is possible, there's also been experiments on satellite feeds with 4k in h264, using two channels I believe, and there's samples floating around of people who decoded it.
    It's gonna help multiview 3d, as they take a column of pixels for each viewplane.

References
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/4136-4k-resolution-consumer.html

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170122
    Last edited by jmac698; 30th Jan 2014 at 01:41.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well it's a start. Even just having for plays in the red zone will give a good look at what this technology will provide down the road.
    Quote Quote  
  13. May be another gibberish. I may have noticed there are few people developing a 8K solution Which should be available after 202X.

Currently there is no 3CCD version of 4K solution for the time being.
    Quote Quote