VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. On a few movies like Snatch, Double Take, the movie is in standard form, not widescreen. Does anybody know how I can make sure that it rips/encodes the widescreen version instead of full screen version? Where would this take place, when it is being ripped, or when it is encoding? I would greatly appreciate your help, Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your source is only 4:3 you can't produce a widescreen "version". Granted most DVD's are encoded using widescreen, some are not.

You can choose before encoding which format you want to encode in, but if it wasn't widescreen to start with encoding to widscreen will only result in bad aspect/ratio problems. Your picture will be streched.

To put your mind at ease. Use whatever format the source was using. That's the way they meant you to watch it.

If you're looking to make the most of your TV if you have a 16:9 TV, your DVD player will pick the right resolution/format automatically.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ogremike:

Does the DVD you want to rip have 2 versions of the movie on it, one 16:9 and the other 4:3? If you use SmartRipper, it will default to one or the other version (look at the properties screens and look for either "16:9" or "4:3". If your DVD has two versions of the movie on it, another set of VOBs will be nearly the same size, and probably with the exact same number of chapters. Just rip the set of VOBs containing the version of the movie you want.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok, cool, that's what I've found, It only does it on movies where it gives you the choice of Widescreen or standard. Thnaks for your help
    Quote Quote