VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    i need a recommendation for most inexpensive hdmi capture card that can connect through USB port / ExpressCard
    slot.

I prefer through USB prot but ExpressCard is also good.

i need it for laptop..

is there something that costs maximum $50-60$ ?
    if not then what is the cheapest card?

thanks for helpers!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are not going to find any HDMI capture device close to that price range that will work for a laptop.

The least expensive HDMI capture devices I found were the AVerMedia AVERTV Express HD DVR for $95 and the Timeleak HD82E for $90. They use software for encoding and so won't work for a laptop with a wimpy CPU.

http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-AVERTV-Express-DVR-MTVEXHDVR/dp/B004BDOR9W
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laptop-expresscard-HDMI-1080p30hz-video-grabber-Timeleak-HD82E...item27d9b447b2

All USB 2.0 HDMI capture devices need to hardware encode because USB 2.0 doesn't provide enough bandwidth for uncompressed output and consequently cost close to twice as much as the above.
    Quote Quote  
  3. And don't forget, most HDMI sources are HDCP protected (encrypted) and most HDMI capture devices will not capture that. You will need an HDCP stripper.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just got one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Def-video-grabber-HDMI-Capture-Video-to-PC-PCI-E-card-for...E:L:OC:US:3160 for $64.

Ostensibly, its a Timeleak HD72a. It took a while to arrive, and I held my breath opening the non-TimeLeak box, installing the card etc, but it works like a charm so far. It ships with Honestech HD DVR 2.5 software, but Virtualdub has worked fine so far.

Jagabo is right about the stripper. That will cost you another $20.

The HD72a supports up to 720p, 1080i and 1080p24. If you want 1080p60 you'll have to buy a slightly more expensive card. Timeleak has those as well.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I recently bought the Timeleak HD72a, but whenever i install the drivers it says its a soundcard, how did you install your drivers/what drivers did you use
    Quote Quote  
  6. For your information, I bought a USB Ezcap-TV for $32 and record off the output of TV converter. I use with XP 1.6Ghz processor. Not HDMI but works flawlessly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Turns out it was my HDMI spiltter that wasnt working, as soon as i plugged it in directly it worked fine so i would recommend it now
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since the OP wanted a cheap HDMI capture device for a laptop with either an ExpressCard or USB interface, posts 4-7 were not at all useful. Laptops can't accept PCI-E cards and Ezcap devices have no HDMI connection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you might be able to find the roxio gamecap hd pro - $60..$99 on amazon - suitable for your laptop. don't use the software suite if you don't really need it. i installs .net and other junk. i put it on my netbook last week so that i could finally use it on it and test it out but found it it has a limitation. they require a minimum resolution of 1024x768 to get their sw suite running.

so, instead of the sw suite, i used graphedit / graphstudio / graphstudionext to create a graph for the roxio and use that to capture on the netbook, it works fine with the roxio with the graph below.

so far, i haven't had any issues with HDCP on blu-ray players over hdmi, no splitter. however, i suspect that for cable broadcast sources there might be problems. but i'm only guessing.

Quote Quote  
  10. Word of advise **DO NOT ORDER CAPTURE CARDS FROM EBAY or CHINA**

ebay money back guarantee is PHONY. If the card is defective you will lose your money.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by esponapule View Post
    Word of advise **DO NOT ORDER CAPTURE CARDS FROM EBAY or CHINA**

ebay money back guarantee is PHONY. If the card is defective you will lose your money.
    I'd rather lose a few times on ebay than buying once in my country.
    You do not want to know how expensive everything in my country ..
    Quote Quote