VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I copied videos to from a USB drive to another new USB drive. The new drive would not play on my Sony Bravia TV. However, it played on the computer.
    As the drive from which it was copied plays on the TV, why does the new one fail to play? Both drives same manufacturer and NTFS format. Is the new USB is defective?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sony HDTVs can be incredibly finicky with USB memory stick playback. Like many other TVs, they also have an annoying tendency to corrupt USB sticks in subtle and severe ways. So it is possible the TV slightly corrupted the new stick upon first loading in such a way that it won't play it but your PC can still read it. Don't trust the new stick until you erase it and re-format.

I've also found direct stick to stick video file transfers can sometimes be problematic: for critical or picky applications like TV play I get more consistent reliable results by copying the contents of the original USB stick to my PC hard drive first, then from the hard drive to the mew USB stick. Of course its also possible the new stick is defective in some way: I've had several problems with sticks of the same model from the same brand behaving differently. As with other profitless commodity items, quality control isn't a top priority of the mfrs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Different partition setups can cause issues too. Delete all partitions on the non-working stick and repartition it as a single primary NTFS partion. Also, verify that the other stick is really NTFS, not FAT or EXFAT.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some TV's can't handle a video that's in a folder on the USB stick, make sure the video is not in a folder.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My mistake: It is a Western Digital USB external drive. I have since returned it for refund and will try another one.
    My other WD plays fine.
    Quote Quote