VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everyone...
    How r u all????

Well straight to the topic... i got dvd video disc from a friend.. when i tried playing it on his system it ran only on vlc.... and when i tired copying it didnt copy it copied only some 2kb file of it... i copied the file of size around 1gb but only 2kb of it was copied... so i tried in my home... and when i play the file it wont play... in the disc there is play.exe file when i double click it.. it shows a virus warning and i couldnt play it... and i couldnt copy either..... i uploaded a image with the contents of the dvd... in there... there is a player folder it contains 2 file 1 is vlc.exe and other is _plugins.... is there anyway to backup the video to my system??....

thank you... ^_^
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Items.png
Views:	310
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	11996  

Last edited by syaoran7li; 16th Apr 2012 at 10:30. Reason: Forgot to upload file..sorry...^_^
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried any ripper? Like dvdfab decrypter. It might work on home burned discs too.

Try also on another computer/dvd drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sounds to me like you've got Autorun enabled on that PC, and that when inserting the disc, the "player" app (which could very well have VIRUS and/or ROOTKIT code in addition to "player" code) is taking control and not letting any disc copying occur.

Simple way to bypass this is:
    1. Try loading the disc with Autorun temporarily turned off for that disc (usually by holding down [SHIFT] key as the disc is being inserted & loaded).
    2. Turn off Autorun in general for that drive (permanently?)
    3. Turn off Autorun in general for ALL drives (permanently?)

Do us a favor and try to play it in a settop DVD player. Does it work there? If not, you actually don't have a VALID DVD title (and life gets a little more complicated).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the reply Everyone
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Have you tried any ripper? Like dvdfab decrypter. It might work on home burned discs too.

Try also on another computer/dvd drive.
    i didnt try tat one but i used DVD decrypter.... and in it..it displayed files sizes as 2kb and 1kb not more than tat???
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Sounds to me like you've got Autorun enabled on that PC, and that when inserting the disc, the "player" app (which could very well have VIRUS and/or ROOTKIT code in addition to "player" code) is taking control and not letting any disc copying occur.

Simple way to bypass this is:
    1. Try loading the disc with Autorun temporarily turned off for that disc (usually by holding down [SHIFT] key as the disc is being inserted & loaded).
    2. Turn off Autorun in general for that drive (permanently?)
    3. Turn off Autorun in general for ALL drives (permanently?)

Do us a favor and try to play it in a settop DVD player. Does it work there? If not, you actually don't have a VALID DVD title (and life gets a little more complicated).

Scott
    Actually it didnt autoplay i just tried to play it... but when i tried to play the vob files it wont play... and then i remembered tat my friend played it using the play.exe file... and so i tired it.. and it showed a virus warning for me.... i tired playing it on a dvd player and its playing.... i just couldnt back it up????
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sounds like you've been infected with an autorun virus or trojan. they were used for a while to block copying of discs, but others were also used for injecting trojans.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    sounds like you've been infected with an autorun virus or trojan. they were used for a while to block copying of discs, but others were also used for injecting trojans.
    well... im sure my system is virus free... but this is.... i think the disc is infected.... but its playing in dvd player and playing for my friend... but i just wanted to copy and it wont work.....
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is this a commercial DVD? It is known that Indian DVDs and VCDs use special "bad sector" copy protection that is different from that used in the West. It could be that DVDFab, AnyDVD, etc. have never seen the specific type of copy protection used on this disc and thus can't remove it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is of course the screen capture route you could take. Or since it does play in the settop player use a capture device on your computer to do a realtime dub of it.

This would be a necessary short term step to take until you could find the appropriate tool to extract the original video digitally.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Generally when faced with problematic dvd's such as these I used clonedvd to make a copy (udf/iso) then mount the iso in a virtual drive ... from here dvdfab hd decrypter to complete the rip.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Is this a commercial DVD? It is known that Indian DVDs and VCDs use special "bad sector" copy protection that is different from that used in the West. It could be that DVDFab, AnyDVD, etc. have never seen the specific type of copy protection used on this disc and thus can't remove it.
    Wat do u mena by commercial dvd??.... to me this looks like a user created dvd.....
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    There is of course the screen capture route you could take. Or since it does play in the settop player use a capture device on your computer to do a realtime dub of it.

This would be a necessary short term step to take until you could find the appropriate tool to extract the original video digitally.

well ya i could do tat... but its a long process.... and there r these blackout issues in the place where i am and so i wont be able to do tat.....
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Generally when faced with problematic dvd's such as these I used clonedvd to make a copy (udf/iso) then mount the iso in a virtual drive ... from here dvdfab hd decrypter to complete the rip.

well i tried with dvd decrypter and nero to back it up.. but in dvd decrypter... the progess was 0% for more than 30 mins... and nero just ejected the dvd tray and showed a error.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Your PC is probably already BORKED with the autorun. And, NO, just because Autorun may be enabled doesn't mean that you have to "see something happening". It may have just INSTALLED an asset-locking mechanism as a system service, and BOOM, now you CAN'T copy from that PC, even if you subsequently TURN OFF autorun.

Like I said above, it needs to be run in a PC that ALREADY has Autorun turned off, so that the 1st attempt is a KNOWN, CLEAN attempt.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by syaoran7li View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Wat do u mena by commercial dvd??.... to me this looks like a user created dvd.....
    Commercial means a legitimate sold in stores DVD made by an entertainment company and not something a person would burn on their own PC. Since you think that someone made it, you should not worry about what I said earlier. I just wanted to rule that out and I think we can now rule it out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm guessing at this point that the disc itself is defective. dirty/scratched/bad sectors or just plain poor quality. it may still play in a standalone as they use the error correction on the disc to skip bad spots, but on a pc it renders it unreadable. try in a different pc with another drive as the laser may be better suited to the disc.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Your PC is probably already BORKED with the autorun. And, NO, just because Autorun may be enabled doesn't mean that you have to "see something happening". It may have just INSTALLED an asset-locking mechanism as a system service, and BOOM, now you CAN'T copy from that PC, even if you subsequently TURN OFF autorun.

Like I said above, it needs to be run in a PC that ALREADY has Autorun turned off, so that the 1st attempt is a KNOWN, CLEAN attempt.

Scott
    Okay i tired ur suggestion... Inserted a disk in a freshly formatted pc with autorun turned off.... but still i couldnt copy???
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by syaoran7li View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Commercial means a legitimate sold in stores DVD made by an entertainment company and not something a person would burn on their own PC. Since you think that someone made it, you should not worry about what I said earlier. I just wanted to rule that out and I think we can now rule it out.
    ya ok... thanks for telling me abt it.... and it really looks plain and poorly done i mean the dvd cover and all.. so it must be user created not professionals....
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i'm guessing at this point that the disc itself is defective. dirty/scratched/bad sectors or just plain poor quality. it may still play in a standalone as they use the error correction on the disc to skip bad spots, but on a pc it renders it unreadable. try in a different pc with another drive as the laser may be better suited to the disc.
    well but it runs on my friends pc... but for me the file shows a virus when i run it.. and i didnt want to disable antivirus to try whether it works or not...????
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Okay i tired ur suggestion... Inserted a disk in a freshly formatted pc with autorun turned off.... but still i couldnt copy???
    it really looks plain and poorly done i mean the dvd cover and all.. so it must be user created not professionals....
    So either it has a virus, and Autorun REALLY WASN'T turned off, or it is just plain BAD MEDIA. Not much else it could be..
    Especially since:
    well but it runs on my friends pc...
    Scott

edit: can you show us more clearly and completely the list of files (and their sizes) in the VIDEO_TS and PLAYER folders?...

Also, have you tried ISOBuster?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it plays with VLC do it. Then press the RECORD button, let it play through, and see if you get a copy.
    Quote Quote