VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Jag Lally
    Search Comp PM
    Goal: remux all my home video m2ts files to m4v/mp4 container so that I can watch them on Sony PS3 and QuickTime and AirVideo on IPad.

Problem: I used Subler to simply create a m4v file from the extracted h264 stream. Results are that using MplayerX I get very blocky video. If I play the same m2ts it plays fine. Quicktime will not even show the video.

How were the files created?: Originally the video is from Sony SR11 camcorder. But in outputting from Final Cut Pro X and Compressor I deinterlaced and then used 'blu ray compatible h264' encoding.

My analysis: From various searches I think the problem is that the blu ray compatibly has put scan type as MBAFF on the h264 video. I know my video is not interlaced anymore.

Fallback Plan: Use Handbrake to recode them using x264 to Progressive profile. But I really want to avoid generation loss by recoding if I can avoid it. Coming from a camcorder these files are not going to be high quality 1920x1080 to begin with like a movie.

My Skill level is "just enough knowledge to be dangerous" . Otherwise I would not have coded them as blu ray compatible and instead output Progressive that works on PS3 and Quicktime.

Is there any way to just change the scan type on the h264 video? Is recoding my only option?

Code:
    mediainfo 2009/A050_Snow_XMAS_2009.m2ts 
    General
    ID                               : 1 (0x1)
    Complete name                    : 2009/A050_Snow_XMAS_2009.m2ts
    Format                           : BDAV
    Format/Info                      : Blu-ray Video
    File size                        : 2.32 GiB
    Duration                         : 15mn 30s
    Overall bit rate                 : 21.4 Mbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate         : 35.5 Mbps

Video
    ID                               : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
    Format                           : AVC
    Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                   : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames        : 3 frames
    Codec ID                         : 27
    Bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Bit rate                         : 20.1 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate                 : 30.2 Mbps
    Width                            : 1 920 pixels
    Height                           : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
    Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps
    Standard                         : NTSC
    Color space                      : YUV
    Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                        : 8 bits
    Scan type                        : MBAFF
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.388
    Stream size                      : 2.18 GiB (94%)
    Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
    Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
    Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
    ID                               : 4352 (0x1100)
    Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
    Format                           : AC-3
    Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
    Codec ID                         : 129
    Bit rate mode                    : Constant
    Bit rate                         : 448 Kbps
    Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
    Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth                        : 16 bits
    Compression mode                 : Lossy
    Stream size                      : 49.7 MiB (2%)
    Quote Quote  
  2. then used 'blu ray compatible h264' encoding.
    since 1920x1080@25fps progressive isn't blu-ray comaptible the content got interlaced again
    iirc. mediainfo did ignore the '--fake-intelaced' flag x264 sets when fooling blu-ray players to accept 25p content, so the content should be really MBAFF (= interlaced content) and if you want to get content that is not interlaced you need to reencode and deinterlace

don't think there's a tool out there, that can just remove the MBAFF header info (1st thought http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152419 might be able to, but it doesn't look like it)

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  3. But encoding it progressive makes it blu-ray incompatible. Are you saying your PS3 cannot play this video? If so, provide more information

You can have progressive content encoded using MBAFF. This is how BBC does their 25p blu-rays

MBAFF doesn't necessarily say anything about the content, it's just a method of encoding.

Quicktime is incompatible with many formats

And no, there isn't anyway to change it short of re-encoding

And why did you deinterlace at all? Presumably you shot 50i from the SR11 ? Why not encode it 50i instead of throwing away 1/2 the information
    Quote Quote  
  4. I agree the best way would be to stay with 50i which is blu-ray comatible and therefore supported by most decoders.

You can have progressive content encoded using MBAFF. This is how BBC does their 25p blu-rays
    that's what the '--fake-interlacing' option in x264 does iirc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Jag Lally
    Search Comp PM
    First of all thank you everyone for replying. it's my first post and i wasn't sure if I was asking something obvious.

But encoding it progressive makes it blu-ray incompatible. Are you saying your PS3 cannot play this video? If so, provide more information
    The original m2ts plays fine in PS3. The remixed m4v I'm not sure. As it doesn't play in QuickTime or MplayerX I didn't go further with it.

And why did you deinterlace at all? Presumably you shot 50i from the SR11 ? Why not encode it 50i instead of throwing away 1/2 the information
    This is the "little knowledge is a a dangerous thing" come in. Originally these were 50i from my camcorder. I was trying to encode them as progressive so that anything I use in the future for playback does not have to deinterlace where I would be at the mercy of it's deinterlacing ability. Prior to these files from 2009 onwards I use to output RAW 8 bit from FinalCut and then run JES Deinterlace and finally code then using X264. Those files have remuxed to m4v without problems and play perfectly from PS3, QuickTime and AirVideo on IPad.

It's these latter from 2009 onwards which I used Final cut and Compressor and "blue ray compatible h264" that I am stuck with. I thought I was deinterlacing and then Compressor's "blu ray compatible" was doing the fake interlacing. I was also trying to encode to h264 in a way that would not require recoding again if I switched containers from m2ts. Obviously I didn't succeed .

Looks like I will have to stick to m2ts or take a generational loss with recoding. And I will have to use my old workflow to output from Final Cut and code manually using x264 if I want maximum compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just some "futureproofing" to think about before you go about redoing your workflow - just be aware that AVCHD 2.0 spec includes 1080p50 28Mbps (and supposedly there is to be updated blu-ray spec which includes this as well but I haven't seen official documentation) . New hardware players should be out later this year with the updated AVCHD2.0 spec . So if your concern was player deinterlacing, then bob-deinterlacing to 50p might be an option (at least you keep the smoothness and temporal information this way)

There's not many options on a Mac for deinterlacing, but if you access to PC, note there are much better deinterlacers available through avisynth
    Quote Quote  
  7. on mac I would probably use yadif+mcdeint (using mencoder or a gui that can use mencoder) to deinterlace if quality is the goal, for archiving purposes I normally keep the content interlaced if the source is interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    for archiving purposes I normally keep the content interlaced if the source is interlaced.
    Same here.

Well for archiving, I keep a copy of original

But I usually keep other encoded versions the same as source - so if I shot 1080i60, I would use 1080i60 for encodes
    Quote Quote  
  9. Jag Lally
    Search Comp PM
    thanks guys for all the replies again. I will look into the advice given.

One more question: What is the reason for the blocky video in MplayerX when i remux to .mv4? if I play the same file in original .m2ts, MplayerX plays it fine. Exact same Results in VLC player. Is it the MBAFF scan type?
    Quote Quote  
  10. normally both MPlayer and VLC should be able to handle MBAFF properly assuming they are up-to-date,...
    Quote Quote