VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I knew I had read somewhere that the MS EULA granted MS a worldwide license to use your content without any compensation to you but I could find where I had read it. Well, as luck would have it I just found it:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/

b. To the extent necessary to provide the Services to you and others, to protect you and the Services, and to improve Microsoft products and services, you grant to Microsoft a worldwide and royalty-free intellectual property license to use Your Content, for example, to make copies of, retain, transmit, reformat, display, and distribute via communication tools Your Content on the Services. If you publish Your Content in areas of the Service where it is available broadly online without restrictions, Your Content may appear in demonstrations or materials that promote the Service.
    Why does any one, especially a professional content producer, use anything that Microsoft sells?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for sharing

Originally Posted by µicro$oft
    to protect you
    Like all the totalitarians, they are shameless liars.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It seems to me M$ is talking out of both sides of their mouth, on the one hand they claim they are gathering a great amount of information both from their services and from their OS:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx

From here leads to specific link:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/windows-privacy-faq

Which they recommend reading Terry Myerson’s blog link that states the following:

"Windows 10 collects information so the product will work better for you.
    You are in control with the ability to determine what information is collected."

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/09/28/privacy-and-windows-10/

Not wanting to quote the whole writeup on this last link but it provides another link they supposedly invite people to share their concerns.

My question is would they really care if some users don't want their OS contacting MS servers?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In most cases, it is nearly impossible to decline the acceptance of there software if it is needed since you can't make any deals or add clauses or conditions at purchase.

What examples do you have of how m$ is getting your content in the first place ?
    (I may know one method of how m$ is doing it but don't want to mention it just yet)
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Your title is misleading,ms doesn't own your content,it just has the right to use it if you publish it with out any conditions.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't use their cloud service then. I'm pretty sure most free hosting sites also have similar requirements. I don't really blame them. If your main editing system running Win 10 isn't connected to web, M$ can't collect diddly.......
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't use their cloud service then. I'm pretty sure most free hosting sites also have similar requirements. I don't really blame them. If your main editing system running Win 10 isn't connected to web, M$ can't collect diddly.......
    While that is one way around it, it may not be for some if not most people who use office and need to spell check their document. On my win 7 home premium laptop, it has office 2010 installed virtually somewhere. And, when I spell check a word document, it did it via the internet. I was surprised to find that out just recently when I was using my portable wifi hotspot at work and the battery died, the spell check informed me that it could not start due to no internet. This was some last week when I was working on very private and personal documents! Now why would I want to agree to m$ about this? I did not know they do this. And I've been spell checking many private documents for several years. From my point of view, they have everything on me!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    While that is one way around it, it may not be for some if not most people who use office and need to spell check their document. On my win 7 home premium laptop, it has office 2010 installed virtually somewhere. And, when I spell check a word document, it did it via the internet. I was surprised to find that out just recently when I was using my portable wifi hotspot at work and the battery died, the spell check informed me that it could not start due to no internet. This was some last week when I was working on very private and personal documents! Now why would I want to agree to m$ about this? I did not know they do this. And I've been spell checking many private documents for several years. From my point of view, they have everything on me!
    I also find that very unsettling to say the least. I use OpenOffice and it does all spellchecks from within the program, no need for internet connection. The only s/w I use from M$ is the OS and nothing else they make interests me. Notepad is the only Windows installed program I use actually, everything else I use is 3rd party and mostly open source......
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    I also find that very unsettling to say the least. I use OpenOffice and it does all spellchecks from within the program, no need for internet connection. The only s/w I use from M$ is the OS and nothing else they make interests me. Notepad is the only Windows installed program I use actually, everything else I use is 3rd party and mostly open source......
    Notepad++ is a much better program. It offers so much more than M$ Notepad. You can even use it to create some spreadsheets in column mode.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Honestly, I never thought I'd see the day when I would back on the Steve Balmer days of MS and think of that as "the good old days":

https://theintercept.com/2015/12/28/recently-bought-a-windows-computer-microsoft-proba...ncryption-key/

Part of me wonders if there are those in MS that are actively trying to kill off Microsoft.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please do not open new threads for similar topics,i moved your thread to this post.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Part of me wonders if there are those in MS that are actively trying to kill off Microsoft.
    Nope, nothing like that, google has been doing worse for a long time and nobody seems to care. Everything is about meta data these days, microsoft is simply following along with the tools they have.
    If you have a google account try this :
    http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/18/google-location-history/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, gotta' love technology. What makes it so easy for the end user also makes it so easy for the bad guy (hacker, lawyer, Government). The only way free from this madness is if everybody collectively unplugs. What do you think the odds are of that happening............?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Which is why one of the first things I did with my Android devices was disable the location function. Luckily I don't need it so can live without it.
    Quote Quote